William Moennig & Son is one of the oldest and
most distinguished dealers and appraisers of rare violins, violas, cellos and
their bows in the world. Founded in 1909, the firm is now in their fourth
generation of violin makers and dealers in
The Moennigs rapidly gained the respect and
confidence of musicians and artists in the
Bill Jr.'s son William Harry Moennig III (1930- ) entered the business in the late 1940's, subsequently studying violin making under Leo Aschauer in Mittenwald and Amédée Dieudonne in Mirecourt and connoisseurship under Pierre Vidoudez, Max Möller, and William Beare. He worked extensively as a restorer and has directed the business since his father's retirement in 1975. Today his son William Moennig IV is active in the workshop as a violin maker and restorer.
Bill Jr. was the first American-born member of the Entente Internationale del Luthier at Archetiers; his son Bill III followed him into that organization shortly thereafter. They were also instrumental in the founding of the American Society for the Advancement of Violin Making in 1975; this group is today known as the Violin Society of America. Bill Moennig III was also a founding member of the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers, for which he served as President.
Their current periodical newsletter The World of Strings began as "The String Player" and was first published by the Moennigs beginning in 1948. About 1949, the name was changed to The World of Strings, under which name it has been published ever since. It has served as a forum for fine instruments available through the shop, and since 1977, when Philip Kass began to work for the firm has also served as a forum for his research.
The offices of William Moennig
& Son, Ltd., at