electric violin repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chaskan

Chaskan

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 August 2001 - 10:11 PM

I just bought an electric violin off of Ebay, for a pretty fair price of $200. It wasn't used or anything, I got it directly from the manufacturer. The problem is, I never got to play it. Once I got the batteries in, I tried to move the on/off switch, and it was stuck. So I used some force to unstick it, and it snapped, so now it kind of rattles loosely. Do you know who I should take it to for repairs? And how much do you think it would cost?

#2 U of I violist

U of I violist

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 03:50 PM

I'd love an electric! *sigh* Maybe someday.

Anyway if you take it to a guitar shop they should be able to fix it for you (I'm guessing it's very similar mechanics), but I don't have any idea how much it might cost. What kind of electric did you buy? Let me know how it goes!

#3 Sound Dreamer

Sound Dreamer

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 01:26 PM

What about sending it to the manufacturer's service shop or centre? You can try calling them up first.

Usually electric stuff manufacturer has service centre to service their customers and repair their products. I know Yamaha has theirs for electric violin.

#4 ViolaKev

ViolaKev

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:45 PM

what type of Electric violin is it?

#5 Sound Dreamer

Sound Dreamer

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:50 PM

There's only one type being sold here in Singapore that I'm aware of.

Here's the web link from the usa site http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/D...SSI00009SV-100K

ooopss.....I think I'm answering the wrong question!!

[This message has been edited by Sound Dreamer (edited 08-08-2001).]

#6 Park

Park

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 04:52 AM

It's probably just a little toggle switch. They're easy to fix, but I'd send it back too. You just got the thing? They may tell you however that it was broken due to mis-use. If that's the case, then you can fix it yourself. Do you know how to solder? If not, then take it to a guitar shop. Nothing worse than fixing something yourself and then finding you have a real bad hum in the amplified sound. If you're going to start playing electric, then you may want to get some manuels on working with electric instruments and take some time to learn to work on the electrics of them. Come kind of natural to all the guitar types (because we're usually gear-heads) but most Violinists never have to mess with anything like that.

#7 Chaskan

Chaskan

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Here's an update: I called the company, Simba Products (it's a Jurgensmeyer brand violin) and the company owner said to remove the part that had the switch on it, and send it to him for a replacement, free of charge. I got the replacement today, screwed it onto my violin, flipped the switch, and it works! It's an awesome violin, and I am totally happy with it. I was amazed at how good the sound is! I am wondering if it's possible for me to restring it as a viola, using small viola strings... hmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users