Pfretzschner violin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cara Lee

Cara Lee

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2000 - 03:02 PM

I am looking for a new violin and would like to sell the one I currently use. Its label says 1965, Mittenwald, ER Pfretzschner. It also has a label, which says Roth, shop adjusted 1965. Can anyone tell me what it is worth?

#2 Lee Essayan

Lee Essayan

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 September 2000 - 05:30 PM

I asked a similar question (see my post of August 21 and response) except that my interest was as a buyer, not a seller.

I went ahead and bought it (on eBay, of all places) only because it was pretty and the price was right. It has since arrived, looks and sounds terrific. The guy selling it was a guitar guy and it came with a bunch of other instruments he wanted so he had to take the lot.

Mine was also adjusted at Scherl & Roth, Cleveland except that mine is a 1984.

I'm far from an expert, but from the absolute junk I've seen around, my guess is its worth a whole lot more than I paid.I guess I got lucky for a change.

I'd strongly urge you to get a professional opinion before parting with it!

#3 Cara Lee

Cara Lee

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2000 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Lee. I am thinking about trading it in, and the person I am working with (a professional who wants to sell me a violin) has told me its worth about $750. I also found a site online which has a 1963 model listed at $900. It does sound great and is in excellent condition. I am guessing that is somewhere in that range. Would you agree?

#4 A. Brown

A. Brown

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 September 2000 - 09:47 AM

There are lots of these around. My experience (limited) is that they are built like tanks and good for school use, a mass-produced product likely not worth as much as you are thinking.

#5 Lee Essayan

Lee Essayan

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 September 2000 - 10:59 AM

Cara Lee

I respect A. Brown's observation and, while I've played all my life, I'm neither a professional violinist nor even more remotely,an appraiser. What I do know is what I like, aesthetically and musically.

What I would caution against is assuming that a "trade-in allowance" for a violin (as with an automobile) is the same as an independent appraisal (i.e. what someone would be willing to pay outright) devoid of any conflicts of interest.

Trade-in values are often obscured (in both directions) by simple manipulation of the selling price of the new purchase.

An independent professional assessment of your specific instrument is what you need.

#6 Jchasalow

Jchasalow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2000 - 06:20 PM

I recently bought a violin with an "ER Pfretzschner" label on the inside and a date of 1951 for $165 from a little antique shop down the road from where I live in upstate NY... Came with a very old case, well-worn bow that desperately needs rehairing, but the violin itself is in phenomenol shape, has a beautiful, strong tone, and was appraised at around $800.

#7 MikeH

MikeH

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 September 2000 - 06:42 PM

The Pfretschner family of makers originated in Germany and are well known as both violin and bow makers, having been active since the 18th Century. The fact that you have a violin with Roth on the label is somewhat confusing, as Roth are also a well known family of makers, also active for the same period. It may well be that you have a "trade fiddle" that has been adjusted by a "trade maker". In any event you have a violin with three values; its' worth as a violin, its' worth in part exchange, and its' worth to you. Its' your decision.

Mike

Mike Hulme

#8 Sebastian

Sebastian

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAsheville, North Carolina

Posted 09 September 2000 - 11:08 PM

Cara Lee:

I bet you have a Scherl & Roth model 301, which was made by Pfretzschner. I know that to be the case in the 1970s, at least.

I'd imagine that it would sell today for between $100 and $350.

That would be my guess.

[This message has been edited by Sebastian (edited 09-10-2000).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users