The little boy in "The Red Violin"?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 2fiddle71

2fiddle71

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:12 PM

Does anyone know who played the part of Kaspar Weiss in "The Red Violin" and was his playing for real? To hear that coming from such a young child is mind blowing.

#2 SottoVoce

SottoVoce

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:18 PM

The actor is Christoph Koncz and he is a real-life prodigy.

#3 2fiddle71

2fiddle71

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:34 PM

quote:

Originally posted by SottoVoce:
The actor is Christoph Koncz and he is a real-life prodigy.

Does he have any works that are available?

#4 SottoVoce

SottoVoce

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:43 PM

quote:

Originally posted by 2fiddle71:
Does he have any works that are available?

Hmm. Good question. I don't know, I just found his name on an internet movie review and read in a synopsis that he's a real prodigy. I'd be interested in anything like that though.

#5 2fiddle71

2fiddle71

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:51 PM

quote:

Originally posted by SottoVoce:
Hmm. Good question. I don't know, I just found his name on an internet movie review and read in a synopsis that he's a real prodigy. I'd be interested in anything like that though.

I have seen the movie but would be intersted in reading the review. Do you remember the site?

Thanx,
John

#6 Mark_W

Mark_W

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2943 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 07:57 PM

You might want to do a "Red Violin" search on this site. I believe there was some discussion about whom we were hearing in the scenes you're referring to. Apparently the director had a concern that the putative masterpiece should have one voice throughout the film.

Despite the obviousness and artifices, I enjoyed the movie, and am inclined to be a bit less censorious on second viewing.

Mark_W

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 08-31-2000).]

#7 Lydia Leong

Lydia Leong

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1400 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 08:14 PM

On the soundtrack, it's Joshua Bell.

But the kid is really playing, even though it's not actually him we're listening to.

#8 bleeviola

bleeviola

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 September 2000 - 09:05 AM

It would have been virtually impossible for the little guy to play in tune on an instrument that was far too big for him. But it was obvious he really can play. No one could fake all of that so well.

#9 twoblink

twoblink

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2000 - 09:41 AM

It seems that this is the first time the world has taken notice of his talents.

You are right though, there is __NO__ way to fake playing a violin at that level.

Who fakes playing a violin? Russel Wong, from Vanishing Sons. He can't even hold a bow let alone play a violin. Someone should have at least given him a crash course in it, because it's pathetic when you hold a violin bow the way you would a gun....

Albert

#10 SottoVoce

SottoVoce

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 September 2000 - 11:21 AM

quote:

Originally posted by twoblink:
Who fakes playing a violin? Albert

One of the actresses in the Red Violin faked playing it. (Sophia Cheng? I can't remember her name exactly). I think she was holding it sorta correctly but it was obvious that the bow was not touching the strings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#11 HuangKaiVun

HuangKaiVun

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5201 posts

Posted 01 September 2000 - 08:01 PM

Russell Wong fakes kung fu even more than he fakes the violin!

#12 scott

scott

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 September 2000 - 11:40 PM

The fellow who played Caspar Wiess(sorry his name escapes me)played here in montreal last spring with the MSO at a special concert featuring music from the movie.The director and several other characters were there too and parts of the film were screened.Apparently a good time was had by all.I stayed home and practiced that and most every night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users