Where to get

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 T Ford

T Ford

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I posted a thread a while ago asking if anyone knew of any video or audio of Michael Rabin speaking. He is such an intriguing character that I've wished there were some interview of sorts like this. 

One poster mentioned that he had seen some show where a Rabin talks about his DG on video. I've recently gained more info, that this was part of a 1969 documentary called 'Famous violinists and their instruments'. 

Has anyone seen this or, more importantly, does anyone know how I may be able to get a copy?

Look forward to your replies. 

Thank you.

#2 poptart

poptart

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I googled it and found nothing, except you asking for it on this and another forum.

Some documentaries get lost along the way.  

I've seen a couple that I searched for later on and they were extinct.

#3 T Ford

T Ford

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well, thanks for the reply. I'm still holding out hope. I've made contact with Cheniston Roland (creator of the Rabin tribute sight which makes mention of the video) re. the video and will post any updates here. Would be quite a shame if all copies have been destroyed. 

#4 sonnichs

sonnichs

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Locationfalmouth,ma

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Perhaps this was the reference?

Great Violinists of The Bell Telephone Hour (1959-1964)  1959NR

The world's finest violinists -- including Isaac Stern, Yehudi Menuhin, Michael Rabin and Mischa Elman -- are featured in this collection of vintage performances first seen on television's long-running show "The Bell Telephone Hour." Also on tap are fiddlers Zino Francescatti, Fritz Kreisler and two selections by cellist Gregor Piatigorsky, all filmed during the heyday of the series, which provided a milieu for classical music.

#5 T Ford

T Ford

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Interesting, I had not read that reference. However, that is the documentary. Would love to track it down. In the interim, I've received some other clips of Rabin, perhaps with permission I'll post them to youtube and post the links here. 

#6 Pete Moss

Pete Moss

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Interesting, I had not read that reference. However, that is the documentary. Would love to track it down. In the interim, I've received some other clips of Rabin, perhaps with permission I'll post them to youtube and post the links here. 

I hope you can. 

Thanks.

Pete

#7 sonnichs

sonnichs

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Locationfalmouth,ma

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

If you search amazon.com for:

"The Bell Telephone Hour violinists"

you will find a few copies on DVD and VHS for around $30. Hopefully some of the bigger libraries would stock these items

cheers

Fritz

#8 T Ford

T Ford

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wow, thanks very much, sonnichs!

#9 poptart

poptart

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

The Great Violinists of The Bell Telephone Hour was interesting, but several of those performances didn't seem to show them at their best.

Menuhin was having a very bad day.  Rabin played like he didn't care.  Stern's performance was not inspiring.  

I generally love the playing of all 3 of them, just not these performances.

Morini was interesting to listen to, she gave an almost exaggeratedly exuberant performance of the finale of the Bruch concerto.  

Francescatti played beautifully.  

Ricci played the same movement of Tchaik that Rabin played, but with much more spirit.

The Oistrakh duo played beautifully, although not my favorite playing from either of them.

I thought Piatagorsky was the highlight of the DVD, and he's not even a violinist.

I hated the Bell presentation, of the orchestra (or pianist) way in the background, and the soloist standing far away and off to the side of them, in a spotlight.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users