Is this a "Violin of Hope" ?

antique violin amnon weinstein violin of hope star of david rare collectible old

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dwb339

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have recently inherited an old violin from my Grandmother.  It was originally restored in 1938 by "Eugene Knowles" and restored again a few years ago.  It almost identically resembles some of the "Violins of Hope" that have been restored by Amnon Weinstein.  I am not sure of the original maker of the violin or the year it was made.  Could this be of any real value?  

Please take a look at the link I have here to see pictures of the violin.  Thank you !

Best Regards,

Dave Bell

#2 jacobsaunders

We’ll be back

• Members
  • 4489 posts
  • Locationcastle near vienna

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Your link doesn't work

We have already had a long thread re: these instruments
These are "fancy violins" as advertised by the Markneukirchen wholesalers and probably made in Schönbach at the end of the 19th C and any connection with the Holocaust, a half century later, is entirely bogus.

#3 Ben Hebbert

Ben Hebbert

• Members
  • 1169 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying Jacob - I've found this whole project deeply disturbing because there is no evidence whatsoever to link these violins to the holocaust. I suppose its fitting that we see the chap regraduating these fiddles as part of his efforts to preserve the voices of the past.

Visit our website

and like us on Facebook

or better still, arrange a visit. +44 (0)20 175 1644 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antique, violin, amnon weinstein, violin of hope, star of david, rare, collectible, old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users