• Announcements

• ghunt

Forum Update *UPDATED*   12/30/16

If you are a Maestronet member, you will likely have noticed a major upgrade to our forum software. This new software improves on a number of areas - one of the biggest is mobile support. This new format is responsive, and so will work nicely on browsers of all sizes. Other improvements will be forthcoming shortly, including SSL for the entire site. A few notes that will help you with the new setup: Your username for logging in is now either your screen name, or your email address - either will work. Your old username will no longer work. When typing a message, the system will periodically auto-save your content as you type. If you lose connection, or return at another time, simply to back to the conversation or thread, hit the Reply button, and your saved content will be there ready for editing. There is a link at the top right of every page labelled "Unread Content" which will show you in a nice timeline view new content. The site can send notifications to your browser, but this can be turned off. Have a look around and check out some of the new features. If you notice anything off, post in News, or PM Jeff or Glenn and we will look into it. Happy New Year from the Maestronet Team.
    • john

Read the rules at the top of this page before posting.   12/30/16

The rules are copied here for your convenience: The Auction Scroll is for sharing opinions on instruments listed and offered for sale online on this site or any other. It is for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions about the instruments themselves. The opinions expressed are solely those of the poster, and do not represent the opinion of Maestronet or its forum moderators. Personal attacks on individuals will not be tolerated and will result in banning from participation in the forums. For example you are free to state that in your opinion a certain instrument labelled such and such is or is not authentic. You can also support your opinion with facts as you see them, as long as you make no reference to the individual or company listing the instrument or use hearsay in your argument. You cannot say for example that such and such an instrument is not authentic because you know the individual listing the instrument is not trustworthy or you believe the company routinely uses false descriptions of its instruments. That will get you banned. Similarly, you can defend the authenticity of an instrument with the facts as you see them, as long as personal attacks and hearsay are not used. For example, you could refer to the shape of the f holes in support of a certain origin, but what you cannot do is attack any individuals that may hold a different opinion. This is a unique forum, so please abide by these rules to ensure it continues in its current form.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omobono

And now for something completely different

13 posts in this topic

Just as the (rosin) dust is clearing from the April sale I see tarisio.com have put out a press release about the highlight of a forthcoming sale:

the 1725 Folinari del Gesù.

tarisio

When did it last appear? Cozio.com suggests Bein & Fushi had it at some stage.

cozio

In the light of some recent discussion elsewhere in 'pegbox' about the influences on early del Gesù this could make for some lively debate.

I like the bit on the Bein & Fushi certifcate where it says ``the back is one piece with curl prependicular to the centre joint`` - which it doesnt have. I assume they mean if it had a centre joint but it still sounds a bit of a little odd thing to say.

I Assume they do but it isnt even perpendicular to an imaginery centre joint,but the Beare Cert. sounds far more sensible and accurate,`flames of medium width sloping slightly upwards from left to right`. :)

Just what I was thinking, Omobono. It is dated from the "missing period" and seems eerily Strad like, particularly in the c bouts. I'm no expert on GDG, but a case can definitely be made that he was capable of being a very careful maker.

Just what I was thinking, Omobono. It is dated from the "missing period" and seems eerily Strad like, particularly in the c bouts. I'm no expert on GDG, but a case can definitely be made that he was capable of being a very careful maker.

898989copy.jpg

I do love how you are always the first to liven the discussion with picture comparisons. I have been fretting all day about what ignorance, unbeknownst to me, my post may have revealed but I will go ahead and take the bait. It's only appropriate after all with me being the small fish in a big big pond...

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one. The corners (especially the lower ones) are very Gesu.

I think I'll stop at that and see how many pieces I get torn into! =)

(edit) I am speaking of the corners of the Folinari

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one. The corners (especially the lower ones) are very Gesu.

I think I'll stop at that and see how many pieces I get torn into! =)

(edit) I am speaking of the corners of the Folinari

There will be no drawing and quartering! Just thought it might provoke some comments.

"Just as the (rosin) dust is clearing from the April sale..."

We're very happy to have the Folinari in our June sale. It has indeed been on the market recently but we feel the opening bid at Tarisio will be highly interesting, particularly to those who might have seen it previously. This was at the request of the consignor who wanted a much broader global exposure for the violin and a greater transparency in the sale.

The 'Folinari' is available to view by appointment in New York through ~May 15, and in London through the sale on June 25. We hope you can make it, as always!

Ps. "I do love how you are always the first to liven the discussion with picture comparisons."

I agree, Omobono & Walter - thanks for posting and helping to make Maestronet a constructive place. We might suggest the violin is best understood in the context of his father's model and work, rather than Stradivari? Broader Cremonese concepts, style, and methodology aside.

*Edited 10:40

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one.

The two fiddles framing the Folinari are the Strad Venus (1727) & a famous Carlo Bergonzi (1735).

If you turn the fiddles around you will think they are a lot less alike no doubt.

We might suggest the violin is best understood in the context of his father's model and work, rather than Stradivari? Broader Cremonese concepts, style, and methodology aside.

*Edited 10:40

family portrait with grandad & dad.

78878.jpg

Filius Andrea is my all-time favorite outline!