12 replies to this topic

#1 Omobono

Omobono

'99er

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Location130°E

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

Just as the (rosin) dust is clearing from the April sale I see tarisio.com have put out a press release about the highlight of a forthcoming sale:
the 1725 Folinari del Gesù.

tarisio

When did it last appear? Cozio.com suggests Bein & Fushi had it at some stage.

cozio

In the light of some recent discussion elsewhere in 'pegbox' about the influences on early del Gesù this could make for some lively debate.

Omobono: 12th Century citizen of Cremona
and patron saint of its craftsmen.

#2 fiddlecollector

fiddlecollector

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6758 posts
  • LocationNorth of Milton Keynes

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

I like the bit on the Bein & Fushi certifcate where it says ``the back is one piece with curl prependicular to the centre joint`` - which it doesnt have. I assume they mean if it had a centre joint but it still sounds a bit of a little odd thing to say.

#3 Alberto R.

Alberto R.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Maybe "to the center joint of the top"
The advertisement comes on the strad march issue.

#4 fiddlecollector

fiddlecollector

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6758 posts
  • LocationNorth of Milton Keynes

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

I Assume they do but it isnt even perpendicular to an imaginery centre joint,but the Beare Cert. sounds far more sensible and accurate,`flames of medium width sloping slightly upwards from left to right`. :)

#5 Walter O'Bannon

Walter O'Bannon

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Just what I was thinking, Omobono. It is dated from the "missing period" and seems eerily Strad like, particularly in the c bouts. I'm no expert on GDG, but a case can definitely be made that he was capable of being a very careful maker.

#6 Omobono

Omobono

'99er

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Location130°E

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Just what I was thinking, Omobono. It is dated from the "missing period" and seems eerily Strad like, particularly in the c bouts. I'm no expert on GDG, but a case can definitely be made that he was capable of being a very careful maker.

Posted Image

#7 Walter O'Bannon

Walter O'Bannon

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I do love how you are always the first to liven the discussion with picture comparisons. I have been fretting all day about what ignorance, unbeknownst to me, my post may have revealed but I will go ahead and take the bait. It's only appropriate after all with me being the small fish in a big big pond...

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one. The corners (especially the lower ones) are very Gesu.

I think I'll stop at that and see how many pieces I get torn into! =)

(edit) I am speaking of the corners of the Folinari

#8 Omobono

Omobono

'99er

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Location130°E

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one. The corners (especially the lower ones) are very Gesu.
I think I'll stop at that and see how many pieces I get torn into! =)
(edit) I am speaking of the corners of the Folinari

There will be no drawing and quartering! Just thought it might provoke some comments.

#9 Ethan Ladd @ Tarisio

Ethan Ladd @ Tarisio

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

"Just as the (rosin) dust is clearing from the April sale..."
We're very happy to have the Folinari in our June sale. It has indeed been on the market recently but we feel the opening bid at Tarisio will be highly interesting, particularly to those who might have seen it previously. This was at the request of the consignor who wanted a much broader global exposure for the violin and a greater transparency in the sale.

The 'Folinari' is available to view by appointment in New York through ~May 15, and in London through the sale on June 25. We hope you can make it, as always!

Ps. "I do love how you are always the first to liven the discussion with picture comparisons."
I agree, Omobono & Walter - thanks for posting and helping to make Maestronet a constructive place. We might suggest the violin is best understood in the context of his father's model and work, rather than Stradivari? Broader Cremonese concepts, style, and methodology aside.

*Edited 10:40

#10 bean_fidhleir

bean_fidhleir

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

and a greater transparency in the sale

hmmmm....

#11 Omobono

Omobono

'99er

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Location130°E

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

The other fiddles are strads, correct? The first one is of his later period with a broader waist? I see a lot of similarities in pattern between the Folinari and the third one.

The two fiddles framing the Folinari are the Strad Venus (1727) & a famous Carlo Bergonzi (1735).
If you turn the fiddles around you will think they are a lot less alike no doubt.

#12 Omobono

Omobono

'99er

• Members
  • 3485 posts
  • Location130°E

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

We might suggest the violin is best understood in the context of his father's model and work, rather than Stradivari? Broader Cremonese concepts, style, and methodology aside.

*Edited 10:40

family portrait with grandad & dad.

Posted Image

Filius Andrea is my all-time favorite outline!

#13 Ethan Ladd @ Tarisio

Ethan Ladd @ Tarisio

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

A new thread was posted on Monday by 'hk1997' on Maestronet of Charles Yang playing "Bohemian Rhapsody for Solo Violin." Charles has a exciting interpretation for almost everything he plays, but if you're curious what the 'Folinari' sounds like, he plays it for you here. We hope you enjoy...
http://www.maestrone...howtopic=326029

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users