Photo

Would you have interest in a little genealogy of your favorite Luthier?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Having pleasure in music, craftmanship, and genealogy, I thought I'd offer to do some simple genealogy on an obscure luthier you would like to know more about. Here are my perameters:
1) As much info about the person as you know (born, lived, age, name, family).
2) Prefer someone from Canada or USA (much easier to research), but willing to try elsewhere if
you are very curious.
3) Prefer 19th or 20th Century, but not exclusively.
4) I'll post the results here in this thread.
5) Edit: No living luthiers.
6) Edit: Some suggestions on requests: Explain your interest in said luthier. How many generations going back would satisfy your curiosity? Do you prefer I post a few documents to show proof (perhaps up to five per request)?

#2 Ron1

Ron1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationSun Prairie

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

There have been numerous inquiries in the past from folks wanting to know more about the maker of their instrument, so I think it's just a matter of the right people seeing your post. It would be helpful if you would indicate if you are doing this for the 'fun' of it, or if there would be a charge for the service- (in which case you would probably not be allowed to solicit for the service on Maestronet).

#3 ~ Ben Conover

~ Ben Conover

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

If a maker is 'obscure' what special services will you provide that I can't access myself using google.

How will you prove any of your findings.

#4 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

A little about myself first. I am an experienced researcher and not a certified genealogist, but care about accuracy as much as a luthier cares about mathematics, tone, and pitch. I get paid minimal amount for the research I do, but it's mostly a hobby turned income. It still remains a hobby. What I am offering is free, without charge, as long as it is offered to the public. If you wish the information to remain for yourself alone, than I suggest PM'ing me and we can email about it, and discuss costs. I'm not soliciting business, and only make that offer as a courtesy.

I let the documentation lead me, love the trail of the detective, and would explain my sources in detail. Hopefully, my connections are good enough to give me the access to the more "obscure" requests (Eastern Europe would most likely be a headache, and perhaps impossible online). I belong to different sites online that resource various kinds of archives. I have researched several genealogies for third parties and have experience researching in:
USA: Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, South Carolina, Mississippi, and other states.
Canada: Quebec, Acadia, Ontario.
Europe: Midi-Pyrenees and Eastern France, Netherlands, Sweden, Scotland and have a bit of understanding of some other European locals.

Being that the offer is free, I wasn't considering attaching the documents themselves, but I may reconsider. Maybe if someone wants the documentation I'd send it for a charge if Maestronet wouldn't mind. Again, I am trying to balance this between what I'm offering free, and what would be fair per the extent of the request. If Maestronet considers this soliciting, than I'd have to only say I'll post documented proof as I felt like it. I may have to re-learn how to post documents to this particular site (if it's different than other online forums). If you wish documentation, and Maestronet insists on a free offer, than make the request known in your initial query.

Have I covered all the bases? I think so. Make no mistake, I've only thought of this offer because of my own passion for Music (I do have perfect pitch per my college voice teacher and choral director), craftmanship (I was in the 97th math percentile of students in the US in the 6th grade), and genealogy (I am a certified genealogy crackhead). I'm looking as forward to learning about the makers of these instruments as many of you are.

Note to Maestronet: I came to this site to learn more about Joseph Hebert; not to solicit business. I've stayed because of the previous paragraph. Rest assured I have no intent of breaking rules or policy of this site, and if I have in any way done so, please notify me because I wish to continue to enjoy this interesting forum.

#5 Jeffrey Holmes

Jeffrey Holmes

• Administrators
  • 7147 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'd like to ask that any posting to this site does not pertain to the genealogy of a living maker...

#6 ~ Ben Conover

~ Ben Conover

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4206 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Nice bridge Jeffrey.

#7 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'd like to ask that any posting to this site does not pertain to the genealogy of a living maker...

A completely appropriate point, thanks Jeffrey.

Any other concerns from anyone?

#8 Jeffrey Holmes

Jeffrey Holmes

• Administrators
  • 7147 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Nice bridge Jeffrey.

Thanks Ben!

#9 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3876 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

...I thought I'd offer to do some simple genealogy on an obscure luthier you would like to know more about...

OK, I'll go first. Can you tell me anything about Frederick P Scott? I am curious about him because a violin of his is the only one in my small collection of New Hampshire-made violin that was made in my home town. The label in the violin reads "Frederick P. Scott - Hopkinton N.H. 1872." The United States census records at the Hopkinton Historical Society indicate that he was born around 1825 and list his occupation as a farmer living in the Hardy's Corner section of town. That's all the definite information that I have on him.

The work on the violin is unconventional but neatly done, and it bears some characteristics typical of early New England violin making. What I would especially like to know is if Scott worked for Abraham Prescott or any of the other better-known New Hampshire makers.

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#10 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

OK, I'll go first. Can you tell me anything about Frederick P Scott? I am curious about him because a violin of his is the only one in my small collection of New Hampshire-made violin that was made in my home town. The label in the violin reads "Frederick P. Scott - Hopkinton N.H. 1872." The United States census records at the Hopkinton Historical Society indicate that he was born around 1825 and list his occupation as a farmer living in the Hardy's Corner section of town. That's all the definite information that I have on him.

The work on the violin is unconventional but neatly done and bears some characteristics typical of early New England violin making. What I would especially like to know is if he worked for Abraham Prescott or any of the other better-known New Hampshire makers.

Thanks Brad, I'll get back to you by this evening, perhaps sooner.

#11 Stephen Byrne

Stephen Byrne

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hello Joni, firstly I have to compliment you for starting a fascinating thread. :) Would it be possible to find anything on a black violin maker named luthier D. Heiges 1890 - 1936 from Balrimore Maryland. I recently started a thread on black makers and he was the only one that surfaced so it would be very interesting to find out anything about him. All we have is a label with his name. Thanks, Wolfe.

"Great minds discuss ideas,Average minds discuss events, Small minds discuss people" Eleanor Roosevelt 

#12 TimRobinson

TimRobinson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Having pleasure in music, craftmanship, and genealogy, I thought I'd offer to do some simple genealogy on an obscure luthier you would like to know more about. Here are my perameters:
1) As much info about the person as you know (born, lived, age, name, family).
2) Prefer someone from Canada or USA (much easier to research), but willing to try elsewhere if
you are very curious.
3) Prefer 19th or 20th Century, but not exclusively.
4) I'll post the results here in this thread.
5) Edit: No living luthiers.
6) Edit: Some suggestions on requests: Explain your interest in said luthier. How many generations going back would satisfy your curiosity? Do you prefer I post a few documents to show proof (perhaps up to five per request)?

This is going to sound like another plug for Alan Coggins' Violin and Bowmakers of Australia, mainly becuase it is :-) If you would like to see an excellant example of the kind of research you are proposing get a copy of the book. Alan used the tools of genealogical research to set the family and social context of the makers (other than the living ones generally).

Regards,

Tim
Tim Robinson
Sydney, Australia

#13 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

The work on the violin is unconventional but neatly done, and it bears some characteristics typical of early New England violin making. What I would especially like to know is if Scott worked for Abraham Prescott or any of the other better-known New Hampshire makers.

Brad, I've found plenty records to keep me busy and some I wish I had and don't (city directories, for example). I was interupted for a few hours today, but will continue early this week, and should have a nice something to show you soon. I'm a member of ancestry.com, and started a family tree for Frederick, created an free guest account for you to use so you can view all the documents I've collected on him. If you have a current subscription, I'd invite you with editorial privilege, otherwise you can view all the documents and information I've got. I've not found him connected with any identified luthiers to my knowledge, but then again, I wouldn't recognize any names save the one you mentioned above. The guest account is called "LuthierHistorian" and I'll PM you with the password.

#14 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

This is going to sound like another plug for Alan Coggins' Violin and Bowmakers of Australia, mainly becuase it is :-) If you would like to see an excellant example of the kind of research you are proposing get a copy of the book. Alan used the tools of genealogical research to set the family and social context of the makers (other than the living ones generally).

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim, great idea!

#15 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hello Joni, firstly I have to compliment you for starting a fascinating thread. :) Would it be possible to find anything on a black violin maker named luthier D. Heiges 1890 - 1936 from Balrimore Maryland. I recently started a thread on black makers and he was the only one that surfaced so it would be very interesting to find out anything about him. All we have is a label with his name. Thanks, Wolfe.

I very much look forward to this next research when I've finished with Frederick P Scott. For clarification, his name is "Luthier D. Heiges" or "D. Heiges"? Anything else of interest about him that you've run across?

#16 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3876 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

...I'm a member of ancestry.com, and started a family tree for Frederick, created an free guest account for you to use so you can view all the documents I've collected on him. If you have a current subscription, I'd invite you with editorial privilege, otherwise you can view all the documents and information I've got. I've not found him connected with any identified luthiers to my knowledge, but then again, I wouldn't recognize any names save the one you mentioned above. The guest account is called "LuthierHistorian" and I'll PM you with the password.

I've gone to ancestry.com, logged in with the password you sent me and searched for Scott. I see that they have United States census records, a Civil War draft record and a Michigan death record for him. When I click to view the image of a record, I get a message saying I have to sign up for a membership. Am I doing something wrong?

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#17 Stephen Byrne

Stephen Byrne

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

It's actually Luther and not Luthier, my mistake. There seems to be very little on him other than DOB and where he's from. If you find you're reaching a dead end I could start a separate topic specifically on him which might net in more info. I've attached a photo, which was recently posted by David Fredrick, of one of his labels.

For clarification, his name is "Luthier D. Heiges" or "D. Heiges"? Anything else of interest about him that you've run across?

Attached Thumbnails

• label1.JPG

"Great minds discuss ideas,Average minds discuss events, Small minds discuss people" Eleanor Roosevelt 

#18 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I've gone to ancestry.com, logged in with the password you sent me and searched for Scott. I see that they have United States census records, a Civil War draft record and a Michigan death record for him. When I click to view the image of a record, I get a message saying I have to sign up for a membership. Am I doing something wrong?

After signing in, on the top left hand side there is "Family Trees". Put your cursor over that and your Scott family tree will 'drop down'. Click on 'Scott Family Tree' and each person has a profile with 'sources' to the right on the 'timeline' which has the documents and proofs of each event and relationship. Also, it has a overview of the whole tree.

#19 Joniterp

Joniterp

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Brad,

You've had a chance to look at some of the work I've done; it's far from finished. For the last couple days I've been looking into news articles from Concord and Hopkinton NH (still working that angle), and came across some interesting info I wanted to pass on. Your researching luthiers of New Hampshire, perhaps your familiar with the Moore family. If not, I recommend researhcing them online. The patriarch of the family was Dr Jacob Bailey Moore who settled in Andover. Besides medicine, he fancied himself a composer and published many news articles. His 'namesake'son J B Moore became an editor and partner in the local newspaper in Concord, and eventually moved into politics in Merrimack, publishing in Concord--music compositions, history, and more (and book selling), and music instrument sellor. J B's brother, Henry Eaton Moore, became a composer (and publisher) of both vocal and instrumental music, a music teacher and music education advocate, etc.. The last brother was John Weeks Moore who trained as a printer, helped with the publishing and edited music publications.

I just 'touched the surface' of this family, not having much time to research them. I first became aware of this family by finding an advertisement from early 1800's selling violins and viola's by J B Moore. Enjoy.

Here is a list of music edited by John Weeks:
http://en.wikipedia....ohn_Weeks_Moore

#20 Jeremyamoto

Jeremyamoto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

If you have some time, I'd like to know more about Samuel Nemessanyi and Heinrich Knopf. Great forum topic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users