20 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1392 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Customer came in with an older student fiddle, and had this news story in the case. I find it easier to read if I 'zoom in' after opening it. Your eyes' mileage might vary.

News_story_low_res.jpg

Just thought it was interesting and that some might enjoy it. For a comparison number, my parents bought a house in (far) northern California for $9000 in 1965.

#2 luthierwannabe

luthierwannabe

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Canada

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

I wonder if anyone uses these bridges today, with the conical holes in the underside.
Where are all our sound wizards? Could this actually make a difference to sound projection?
Tony

#3 Craig Tucker

Craig Tucker

x-treme bother

• Members
  • 10126 posts
  • LocationRoswell, NM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

I wonder if anyone uses these bridges today, with the conical holes in the underside.
Where are all our sound wizards? Could this actually make a difference to sound projection?
Tony

Crawling far far out on a limb, I'm going to risk my stellar reputation and say that this improvement can take it's place alongside the "improved" bass bar, and soaking the insides of your violin with a magical solution. (and all the rest)

It simply doesn't work that way.

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes...

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

#4 Rokovak

Rokovak

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • Location46011

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Any images of this? I can't seem to visualize "conical holes in the underside of a bridge".

#5 MeyerFittings

MeyerFittings

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

And to think the Archbishop of Portland told folks to cancel their subscriptions to the Oregonian. Actually the paper is down to just a couple of pages now. Guess we know why. :)

#6 donbar

donbar

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Despite claims of arcane acoustical advantages I believe the main benefit of the conical holes in the bottom of the bridge feet was to
concentrate the downward string pressure around the outside edges of the bridge feet where contact with the top plate is most important. It also made fitting the bridge feet somewhat easier because there was less to carve away. Many violinmakers slightly hollow the bottom surface of their bridge feet for similar reasons.

#7 Bruce Carlson

Bruce Carlson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationCremona

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

Despite claims of arcane acoustical advantages I believe the main benefit of the conical holes in the bottom of the bridge feet was to
concentrate the downward string pressure around the outside edges of the bridge feet where contact with the top plate is most important. It also made fitting the bridge feet somewhat easier because there was less to carve away. Many violinmakers slightly hollow the bottom surface of their bridge feet for similar reasons.

Is there any reason why the feet of the bridge should not be fitted as carefully as possible over their entire surface? Why is it more important how they fit around the outer edges? Once you have fitted some bridges and get over the obstacle of honing your technique it is not all that difficult to fit bridge feet.

If there was any advantage at all it was in the removal of wood mass from the bridge which could be done in other ways without compromising this point of contact between bridge and table. The Starker bridge never really caught on as CT says and, in the end, I'm in favor of full contact with the table.

Bruce

#8 violinbridges

violinbridges

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Is this one of his cello bridges?

http://www.violinbri...p;search=search
"measure twice cut once"

#9 Bruce Carlson

Bruce Carlson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationCremona

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

http://www.violinbri...p;search=search

That's our baby! It's really the big stylised S that makes the acoustical difference! :)

The wood removed under the feet is in the form of two conical shaped holes that go up into the foot and lower leg (or ankle) of the bridge. Kind of reminds me of two little loudspeaker cones. Whenever anyone requests such a modification I have a little conical drill bit and I make my own holes but without the S. (edit: I try to talk them out of it.)

Bruce

#10 Oded Kishony

Oded Kishony

genralissimo

• Members
  • 6081 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia, USA

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

I agree with Bruce that the biggest effect is to alter the mass to stiffness ratios. There may be some possible benefit to some instruments but it's probably better to accomplish this in a more straight forward way. I doubt that the air column inside the bridge leg will have any noticeable effect.
Bridge design by Magic Accoustics

Oded
visit my home page at:
www.kishonyviolins.com

#11 Craig Tucker

Craig Tucker

x-treme bother

• Members
  • 10126 posts
  • LocationRoswell, NM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

- violinbridges comes through!
Thanks for posting this.
I couldn't get any results from a google patent search, this is pretty cool.

Even in 1967 dollars, having custom bridges made must have cost a pretty penny.
(Wait a tic - back in '67, were'nt they still trading in puka shells ?)

#12 Craig Tucker

Craig Tucker

x-treme bother

• Members
  • 10126 posts
  • LocationRoswell, NM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

That's our baby! It's really the big stylised S that makes the acoustical difference! :)

Bruce

For me, the really interesting thing here, is how easy it is to start the ball rolling - from essentially nothing. For people (apparently even people who should know better) to agree to hear something that just isn't there.

I think that the better salesman you are, the further the ball will roll. If you were to look into this, you would find that the inventor was (or is) a great guy, and 110% sincere about his discovery.

#13 Bruce Carlson

Bruce Carlson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationCremona

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

For me, the really interesting thing here, is how easy it is to start the ball rolling - from essentially nothing. For people (apparently even people who should know better) to agree to hear something that just isn't there.

I think that the better salesman you are, the further the ball will roll. If you were to look into this, you would find that the inventor was (or is) a great guy, and 110% sincere about his discovery.

I met the Maestro at Manchester one year when I was judging and he really is a very charming and sincere person. I don't think he would lend his name to something he didn't believe in.

Bruce

#14 donbar

donbar

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

The fit of back edge of the treble foot of the bridge is the most important as it defines the length of the lever arm the bridge exerts through the top plate over the fulcrum of the soundpost. As the strings pull tilts the bridge forward any lifting at that rear treble foot edge will increase the length of that lever arm in a manner similar to moving the bridge up towards the fingerboard or moving the
soundpost down towards the tailpiece.

#15 MANFIO

MANFIO

MANFIO

• Members
  • 8495 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Janos Starker is a fantastic cellist, still in activity as far as I know, everything in his cello playing is fine.

#16 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1392 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

Interesting replies, and I was particularly interested in the bridge photo. I had a hard time visualizing the holes from the newspaper story. As most newspaper stories, they don't have room to go into many details, but it would be nice to know the 'theory' behind the concept. I assume that it was not just random drilling of holes. The 'megaphone' reference brought to my mind some of the hi-fi improvements that were taking place at the time. Don't know, though.

The other thing I liked about the story was its range -- starting with the Starker bridge, going onto a bit about Stradivari and del Gesu, onto varnish (with the opposing views) and then on to care and feeding of soloists. Just don't see that variety in most stories, then or now.

#17 Bruce Carlson

Bruce Carlson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationCremona

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

The fit of back edge of the treble foot of the bridge is the most important as it defines the length of the lever arm the bridge exerts through the top plate over the fulcrum of the soundpost. As the strings pull tilts the bridge forward any lifting at that rear treble foot edge will increase the length of that lever arm in a manner similar to moving the bridge up towards the fingerboard or moving the
soundpost down towards the tailpiece.

I agree totally but I still think you shouldn't hollow the feet to obtain this. Especially if you consider that spruce is a softwood and is highly succeptible to compression if all the pressure is limited to a small area. You're better off teaching your clients how to tell when the bridge is standing up straight and, as in what you said, what might happen if it is leaning too far forward (no hollowing in the world will help that situation).

Rats, I just realised that the rectangular shape of my cello bridge foot isn't a "golden section"!!!! :)

Bruce

#18 Bruce Carlson

Bruce Carlson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • LocationCremona

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Janos Starker is a fantastic cellist, still in activity as far as I know, everything in his cello playing is fine.

Hi Manfio,

When I was at Manchester that time he masterfully played the "Don Quixote" romance for cello and orchestra by Richard Strauss.

Bruce

#19 MANFIO

MANFIO

MANFIO

• Members
  • 8495 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yes Bruce, his intonation is particularly impressive, quite a nice player indeed!

#20 robedney

robedney

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • LocationSan Franciso Bay

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Two things struck me about this article: 1) It's well written and appears to be well researched. Very different than most of what we get these days. 2)Despite the over four decades between then and now, we're having the same arguments about fiddles.
Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users