10 replies to this topic

#1 luthierwannabe

luthierwannabe

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Canada

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can obtain plans and or details for building a bow re-hairing jig? Do you need a separate jig for each of violin, viola, cello and bass bows?
Thanks.....Tony

#2 Pebbles

Pebbles

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Have a look at Lynn Hannings webpage, she has very practical jigs for purchase. Very easy to use.
UV's r us.

#3 FiddleDoug

FiddleDoug

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1415 posts
  • LocationHilton, NY

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

I agree with Pebbles. I took Lynn Hanning's bow rehairing class, and have almost always used her bow head holder & frog holder system since. You may need separate jigs for cello/bass bows, but violin/viola bows work on the same holder. Prior to the class, I did make a jig similar to the one that Stroebel shows in his book, but I very rarely use it now.

#4 luthierwannabe

luthierwannabe

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Canada

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi Pebbles and Doug,
Thank you for your input and links.
Sorry for the delay in replying, my email provider is having problems.

Tony

#5 welshman

welshman

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationCleveland Ohio

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

This thread got me thinking of just where I had seen a bow rehairing jug for sale and it finallt came to me. It is the same as one I made in school that works well and is fully adjustable for all bows, over the yrars the only change I made was to add a screw to the head end to loop the tieing thread too, gives me a third hand while I am tieing the knot.

any way the jig is in the Stewart-MacDonald company catalog - mostly guitar and banjo things but also a section on violin repair stuff and tool, page 88 of my catalog list the "universal bow rehairing jug" #0341 for $63.75 check it online at www.stewmac.com

just noticed they have a end button remover for stuck buttons hummm that might be handy.

Reese

Reese Williams,Violins
Restoration and Repair
Cleveland, Ohio

www.reesewilliamsviolins.com

#6 Jack Rushing

Jack Rushing

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

I bought a nice one from International Violins a few years ago. It fits all length of
bows. The price is $49.00 plus shipping.

#7 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4012 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

Does anyone know where I can obtain plans and or details for building a bow re-hairing jig?

The problem with all the one-piece rehairing fixtures that I have ever seen is that they hold the bow by clamping the head and the frog. Clamping the head and the frog is potentially damaging. And it is totally unnecessary if the simple separate frog and head holding fixtures mentioned above are used. Here are some pictures of the ones that I made about 20 years ago and still use:

frog_holder_1.JPG frog_holder_2.JPG

The sides hold the frog upright. The downward force of any work being done on the frog is supported by bottom center rail, protecting the delicate bottom edges of the frog. The center rail has a hole for the eyelet. This holder will take violin, viola and cello bow frogs. I made a bigger one for bass bow frogs.

The head holder is lined with leather on the inside. It fastens to the bench by means of a wooden dowel that is inserted in a hole in the bench top, and it has a pivot attachment to the dowel. It all means that the stick has complete freedom of movent, yet it is held firmly enough for rehairing and other operations without being clamped. This holder holds most violin and viola bow heads. I made another for cello and another for bass bow heads.

Attached Thumbnails

• head_holder_1.JPG
  • head_holder_2.JPG

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#8 saintjohnbarleycorn

saintjohnbarleycorn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1044 posts
  • Locationbayard

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

brad that is a nice design, thanks for the pics. kevin

the monkey trial had it all wrong, humans are more closely related to jackasses

#9 luthierwannabe

luthierwannabe

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSarnia, Canada

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

The problem with all the one-piece rehairing fixtures that I have ever seen is that they hold the bow by clamping the head and the frog. Clamping the head and the frog is potentially damaging. And it is totally unnecessary if the simple separate frog and head holding fixtures mentioned above are used. Here are some pictures of the ones that I made about 20 years ago and still use:

frog_holder_1.JPG frog_holder_2.JPG

The sides hold the frog upright. The downward force of any work being done on the frog is supported by bottom center rail, protecting the delicate bottom edges of the frog. The center rail has a hole for the eyelet. This holder will take violin, viola and cello bow frogs. I made a bigger one for bass bow frogs.

The head holder is lined with leather on the inside. It fastens to the bench by means of a wooden dowel that is inserted in a hole in the bench top, and it has a pivot attachment to the dowel. It all means that the stick has complete freedom of movent, yet it is held firmly enough for rehairing and other operations without being clamped. This holder holds most violin and viola bow heads. I made another for cello and another for bass bow heads.

Hi Brad,
Thank you for sharing the info and pictures of your bow holder. I especially like the idea of the swiveling head holder.
Tony

#10 TFirzli

TFirzli

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

I am fairly sure that Harry Wake's "Bow Hair and Repair" has plans. I have read it but not actually bought it. I have 2 other books of his and some DvDs as well.

Its not free though, just giving another option :)

BTW, my violin/cello teacher used his book to learn rehairing bows and it works on all of his bows. He may have bought the jig from Stewart Macdonald or he may have made it, not totally sure.

#11 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4012 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

I am fairly sure that Harry Wake's "Bow Hair and Repair" has plans.....BTW, my violin/cello teacher used his book to learn rehairing bows and it works on all of his bows.

Your teacher did better with that book than I did. I made a re-hairing fixture from the plans in Wake's book and attempted to teach myself rehairing from it over 30 years ago. I was unable to learn from the book. It was fortunate that I never got my hands on any good bows when I was working from the book, because there's a good chance that I would have damaged them if I had. Once I received instruction from a master bow restorer (Arnold Bone), re-hairing became pretty easy for me. I copied my head and frog holders from Bone's and burned the fixture that I made from the plans in the book. I advise people to stay away from that book.

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users