catlover

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWichita

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

How can I tell the value of a violin that has a label inside saying
"Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremonae anno 1737 IHS"

There is a cross above the IHS.

I don't see anything that says copy of or any indication of another maker in it.

How can I tell who made it and what it might be worth? The man who brought it in said it belonged to his grandfather but his aunt owns it now and she did not want the repairs so I cannot take a picture of it.

There was also a bow that said Otto A Hoyer Pariser. Or I think that is what it said, it was very worn.

I work in a repair shop of a music store and we work mainly on student instruments so I am not very knowledgeable about older instruments. Is this worth anything? I could call the customer and see if he would bring it back in for pictures if anyone thought it might have some value. He was looking for some way to convince his aunt to let him pay for the repairs.

Thanks for any help.

PS. I don't post often because I am not a luthier. I am a manager of a repair shop and do not actually work on violins. Mostly I am here to learn and help educate my technician. I really appreciate this forum and all of your posts.

#2 stradofear

stradofear

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Location1787 NW

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Without more info, or photos, there's not much that can be said. Most likely the bow is worth several times what the violin is worth, though perhaps not.

#3 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4131 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

A genuine Joseph Guarnerius violin is worth millions of dollars, but tens of thousands of comercially mass-produced violins bear his label, often with no indication that they are copies. The probability that you will be struck by lightning today is a lot higher than the probability that this is a real Guarnerius. Only an experienced violin dealer/appraiser can tell you who made it and what it might be worth.

On the other hand, there's a pretty good chance than an Otto Hoyer bow coming from someone's grandfather is genuine. In good condition, these bows sell in violin shops for several thousand dollars. And the presence of this bow suggests the possibility that the accompanying violin could be a better grade of commercial production.

You should have the violin and bow checked out by someone knowledgeable.

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#4 catlover

catlover

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWichita

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

A genuine Joseph Guarnerius violin is worth millions of dollars, but tens of thousands of comercially mass-produced violins bear his label, often with no indication that they are copies. The probability that you will be struck by lightning today is a lot higher than the probability that this is a real Guarnerius. Only an experienced violin dealer/appraiser can tell you who made it and what it might be worth.

On the other hand, there's a pretty good chance than an Otto Hoyer bow coming from someone's grandfather is genuine. In good condition, these bows sell in violin shops for several thousand dollars. And the presence of this bow suggests the possibility that the accompanying violin could be a better grade of commercial production.

You should have the violin and bow checked out by someone knowledgeable.

I'm quite sure it is not a genuine Guarnerius, I just wondered if there were a way to tell value or maker by some markings.

The bow had me curious also. I guess you have answered my question and I will recommend that the customer have the violin and bow evaluated by a local string expert.

Thanks for the help.
Sally

#5 Doug Marples

Doug Marples

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

You could take it to McHugh's Violin shop and ask.

#6 catlover

catlover

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWichita

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

You could take it to McHugh's Violin shop and ask.

That is who I will recommend. The customer has the instrument so it will be up to him. :)

Sally

#7 Bernie R

Bernie R

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

I'm quite sure it is not a genuine Guarnerius, I just wondered if there were a way to tell value or maker by some markings.

The bow had me curious also. I guess you have answered my question and I will recommend that the customer have the violin and bow evaluated by a local string expert.

Thanks for the help.
Sally

Congratulations Sally, I think this is the first entirely sane and sensible question and answer session I have seen on Maestronet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users