Gibson Violin V-35-142

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 S Everett

S Everett

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

I have a Gibson V-35-142 Violin in excellent shape with a great sound that was my grandfathers. I have asked about this violin in many shops before but noone seems to have ever heard of a Gibson Violin. Some folks even say that Gibson never made violins. I have now heard that Gibson did make violins at one time but have lost many of their records. Does anyone have information on this Violin maker and this model?

#2 Andrew Victor

Andrew Victor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3351 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

I have a Gibson V-35-142 Violin in excellent shape with a great sound that was my grandfathers. I have asked about this violin in many shops before but noone seems to have ever heard of a Gibson Violin. Some folks even say that Gibson never made violins. I have now heard that Gibson did make violins at one time but have lost many of their records. Does anyone have information on this Violin maker and this model?

Apparently Gibson made/sold violins in the 1930s-1941 period when violin imports to the US from Germany ceased.

You can look this up at Google and over time you may find information coming and going there.

Andy

#3 fubbi2

fubbi2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3491 posts
  • LocationWest Camp

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Apparently Gibson made/sold violins in the 1930s-1941 period when violin imports to the US from Germany ceased.

You can look this up at Google and over time you may find information coming and going there.

Andy

I believe Gibson made violins only from 1937 to 1941. They've auctioned for $555 to $1360.

#4 Michael Richwine

Michael Richwine

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationShawnee, KS

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

I have part of a 1924 Gibson catalog with violins in it, supposedly made by the Virzis, and including their "tone enhancer". They did make them up through the late 30's.

The lowest model in the line in 1924 was the V-50, so the v-35 must have come along later. I've never seen a model lower than a v-25.

IIRC, production was mostly based out of New York. I don't know whether any were made in Kalamazoo. I've seen several examples, and had it not been for the name, I would have passed over them completely, since there are IMO a lot better inexpensive violins around.

I recently had a late v-250 sent to me on approval. It was supposed to be their top of the line, made in Italy. It was no doubt a Gibson, but definitely American made, and poorly at that. As I recall, the linings were pieced together out of various strips of wood, and the interior work was very rough. Quality seems to have varied a lot over that short period of time.
Michael Richwine
KC Fiddles
"You'll love the way you sound"

#5 IBK

IBK

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey, USA

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

The few Gibson violins which I have seen always reminded me of the work of the Guldan Jackson factory in Columbus Ohio. They may or may not have been made by them
Hey diddle diddle, my cats play the fiddle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users