• Announcements

• ghunt

Forum Update *UPDATED*   12/30/16

If you are a Maestronet member, you will likely have noticed a major upgrade to our forum software. This new software improves on a number of areas - one of the biggest is mobile support. This new format is responsive, and so will work nicely on browsers of all sizes. Other improvements will be forthcoming shortly, including SSL for the entire site. A few notes that will help you with the new setup: Your username for logging in is now either your screen name, or your email address - either will work. Your old username will no longer work. When typing a message, the system will periodically auto-save your content as you type. If you lose connection, or return at another time, simply to back to the conversation or thread, hit the Reply button, and your saved content will be there ready for editing. There is a link at the top right of every page labelled "Unread Content" which will show you in a nice timeline view new content. The site can send notifications to your browser, but this can be turned off. Have a look around and check out some of the new features. If you notice anything off, post in News, or PM Jeff or Glenn and we will look into it. Happy New Year from the Maestronet Team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rviolist

Viola different shape

26 posts in this topic

Hi!

Everyone knows that makers are still experimenting with viola' shape and size... I've seen quite a few instruments using the shape of the picture bellow... Does this shape have a name? Is it inspired in some earlier instrument or it was created by the maker Iizuka?

Thanks a lot!

post-28946-1250468412_thumb.jpg

Izuka makes violas with this shape, but I'm not sure if the viola on your photo is a Izuka.

It seems that Grancino made a viola with a similar outline, but I may be wrong.

Hi!

Everyone knows that makers are still experimenting with viola' shape and size... I've seen quite a few instruments using the shape of the picture bellow... Does this shape have a name? Is it inspired in some earlier instrument or it was created by the maker Iizuka?

Thanks a lot!

This is a Virtuoso Cut Away by Otto Erdesz which was deisgned for violist Rivka Golani. He made about 30 of them in the 1970's. They never really caught on because of the asymmetry. If you play a lot of contemporary viola music they are great.

post-29315-1250474407_thumb.jpg

Hi!

I have a friend with a viola d'amore of that shape. I think that was the shape of some of those. They had 6 strings and a lot of sympathetic ones.

Iizuka has mentioned that his design was inspired by a viola d'amore.

Here's one on utube with a similar shape,

Here's one I made this winter, as a special commission, sort of along those similar lines

A viola, not a d'amore

It's in mid-varnish in the pictures.

Gasparo de Salo's design is one of my favorite viola shapes. This model even has a purty painting on the inside. :)

post-24915-1250479639_thumb.jpgpost-24915-1250479660_thumb.jpg

Gasparo de Salo's design is one of my favorite viola shapes. This model even has a purty painting on the inside. :)

That back is beautiful. Any idea what kind of wood it is?

No sorry, I never asked the maker. You could though. :) As you'll see, she puts quite an artistic flair into all of her instruments.

No sorry, I never asked the maker. You could though. :) As you'll see, she puts quite an artistic flair into all of her instruments.

Hey man, thats the kind of music that makes me feel like I can go out there and be someone :)

She's great, thanks for that.She's like my new role model. Got to go, the new phone books are here.

Manfio, you're right! That viola is not a Iizuka... this one is.

I've seen Anne Cole's instruments and have tried some of them, too. It's quite intresting how she goes from 14 inches to 20 inches violas... and they sound pretty cool! Her website shows some other different shapes and talking to her about her artistic thoughts about the instruments is kind of nice, too.

Botton line, Iiizuka did not create the model, but was ispired by the old Viola D'amore's design in order to be one of the best viola makers of 20th/21st centuries? Does he have a website? O did not find any when googleing his name... :)

Thanks

This instrument doesn't remind me of anything I've seen by Gasparo-can you enlighten me?

Doug

Doug, this viola is on the Hill Collection, on the Ashmoleum Museum, Oxford, England. There are photos of it on David Boyden's book on the Hill Collection.

The top of this Gasparo is made of cedar of Lebanon, if I'm not wrong.

I have to say that Gasparo is the coolest viola I've ever seen. It says it is a viola-lira. How does that relate in size to a modern contralto viola?

As long as we are playing "weird viola show and tell" here are a couple of instruments to ponder

The first is I believe a 19th century French Viola with a 16 3/8" body.

The second is a pre WWII Markneukirchen with a 16 5/8" body.

post-29315-1250546708_thumb.jpg

post-29315-1250546742_thumb.jpg

post-29315-1250546766_thumb.jpg

post-29315-1250546795_thumb.jpg

How about this one??? I think it's called "Pelligrina," but the spelling is probably wrong!

post-28946-1250558919_thumb.jpg

Does some one have pictures of the Iizuka's "Rubenesnke" model?

Do you guys think the "d'Amore" model would work for smaller violas such as 16 or even 15 3/4 inches?

Do you guys think the "d'Amore" model would work for smaller violas such as 16 or even 15 3/4 inches?

hello!

you bet! i'm 5'7", have short fingers (i just described a gnome) and always looking for a small instrument that will still drown out my stand partner. i have three now, bite me!

my Lyre is 16" but the lower bouts are very wide and need a big case. case in point (...), should have thought about how to carry the darn thing around before i made it... i'll build them more appropriately proportioned next time. if only i could own something like Maestro Diaz's Amati... :)

off thread, if you are just looking to ridicule your stand partner with his 17 3/4" this or that, you could show up for rehearsal with a modified violin or small viola where one foot of the bridge is connected directly to the sound post through a hole in the top. its not a new idea, the concept is probably centuries old.

i used to have 2 modified like that. but be careful, they tend to piss off violists with size sensitivities and violinists who think you have no right playing as many notes as they...

V_L_R

post-29094-1251778243_thumb.jpg

Wow!

Does that really works? I've never seen anything like that before! weel, I'm a player starting to get curious about making issues, so...

heck, might as well...

my first viola, its a 5 string:

V_L_R

I have always liked the single corner design. I have to wonder about the large expanse between the ff holes? (or should I say ss holes?)

How is the tone of this viola?

I take it that you added an e above the a, and not an f below the c? This viola looks capable of handling the lower string - which would really be interesting. If they even make such a string...