#1 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi all,

I went to a violin student recital on Sunday. I heard among other pieces, one violin solo piece titled "home sweet home".
Its main theme was the well known melody "home sweet home" but with a lot of beautiful variations at beginning and after.
It was quite long too. (6 Min ). Do you happen to know more information (Farmer , Was listed as the composer, my guess he wrote the variation)

Thank you.

#2 MingLoo

MingLoo

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

I went to a violin student recital on Sunday. I heard among other pieces, one violin solo piece titled "home sweet home".
Its main theme was the well known melody "home sweet home" but with a lot of beautiful variations at beginning and after.
It was quite long too. Do you happen to know more information (Farmer? , Was listed as the composer, I doubt it is correct)
about the peice, so I can order it on line?

It would help if you knew the composer. I wonder if this is it:

Variations on "Home Sweet Home" by Charles Nicholson. For flute and piano. Published by Pan Verlag

If you have a programme, look at that and see who the arranger is.

#3 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

It would help if you knew the composer. I wonder if this is it:

Variations on "Home Sweet Home" by Charles Nicholson. For flute and piano. Published by Pan Verlag

If you have a programme, look at that and see who the arranger is.

++++++++++++++++++

Thank you, Mingloo

I went to a couple of music stores in Chicago and tried to buy a copy of it. None was available. They told me
that the publisher was out of business. (so sad)

In Youtube.com I could see a young violinist (8 years old girl ) in Finland played the peiece.
( Farmer arranged it, Bishop was original )

Thank you, everyone.

#4 Jack Rushing

Jack Rushing

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

I have sent Fellow a link to download the free sheet music score of "Home Sweet Home" by Sir Henry Bishop, but have not received

acknowledgement of any kind.

#5 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

I have sent Fellow a link to download the free sheet music score of "Home Sweet Home" by Sir Henry Bishop, but have not received

acknowledgement of any kind.

+++++++++++++

Thank you, Mr. Rushing.

I am sorry that I did not open the mail until quite late, only a few hours ago. Thank you again.

#6 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

+++++++++++++

Thank you, Mr. Rushing.

I am sorry that I did not open the mail until quite late, only a few hours ago. Thank you again.

PS. "Home sweet home" has long and short versions. Only the Farmer's edition (6 min long,
with a few beautiful variations) is out of print.

#7 Jack Rushing

Jack Rushing

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:10 AM

You are welcome. It is the short version, but still a beautiful piece. I have trouble putting the proper feeling into it, and do not play

it very well. I'm sure you will do much better.

#8 AdamRSweet

AdamRSweet

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSouth Hadley, MA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

I find JC's ABC Tunefinder to be the best resource for online sheet music and midi files

Anyway I searched for Home Sweet Home and this is what I got

http://trillian.mit....T=HOMESWEETHOME
Join me in the Fiddle World
A Place For Fiddlers & Those Who Love Them
http://fiddleworld.ning.com

#9 Steve R.

Steve R.

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

I found this at the Library of Congress website:

Home, sweet home [violin] / by H. Wm. Schnicke.

and

Fantaisie on home sweet home / by Edward Mollenhauer

and

Home sweet home [flute or violin, piano] / by A. H. Rosewig.

and

Home, sweet home / by Sep. Winner.

and

Home, sweet home / by J. P. Sousa.

Love the Library of Congress... No Farmer though...
Steve R.
So little time and so little to do. -- Oscar Levant

#10 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

I found this at the Library of Congress website:

Home, sweet home [violin] / by H. Wm. Schnicke.

and

Fantaisie on home sweet home / by Edward Mollenhauer

and

Home sweet home [flute or violin, piano] / by A. H. Rosewig.

and

Home, sweet home / by Sep. Winner.

and

Home, sweet home / by J. P. Sousa.

Love the Library of Congress... No Farmer though...

===================

Among many, there is one by Henry Farmer (original by Bishop)

It is inside of a collection of CELEBRATED FANTASIAS ( ten popular folk-songs and airs with variation) Violin and Piano

In youtube.com you will hear the young lady played it.

Thank you, I have not found the music score yet .

#11 Steve R.

Steve R.

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

Oops, my links failed I see,

Home, Sweet Home at American Memory

That link will give you the entire list, including ones without violin. Unfortunatly as I looked for a link that would work, I also found that they don't have the Farmer edition. Have you tried sending a note to the poster on YouTube on who the publisher was?
Steve R.
So little time and so little to do. -- Oscar Levant

#12 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

Oops, my links failed I see,

Home, Sweet Home at American Memory

That link will give you the entire list, including ones without violin. Unfortunatly as I looked for a link that would work, I also found that they don't have the Farmer edition. Have you tried sending a note to the poster on YouTube on who the publisher was?

+++++++++++++

Home sweet home by Farmer (Bishop was original)

must be a very popular piece. In youtube.com two young ladies played the same piece. I don't know how many more.

Here is another one player in Youtube.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

So popular ! Yet I cannot find the music score. Many days now.

#13 AmandaM

AmandaM

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

I know exactly which piece you mean, I even know what the sheet music looks like -- and like you I've been trying to find a copy. Sheila Nelson in London has it in her library, but I've never seen it anywhere else. However, she has published another excellent Farmer piece, Hope told a Flattering Tale, in her anthology The Romantic Violinist (Boosey & Hawkes).
I've rescued a very old copy of Farmer's violin method book from a library trash pile once, and as I'm guessing the copyright years are over, if you'd be interested I could scan a couple of other "themes with variations" from there and send them to you. There is at least one on Twinkle, twinkle and one on The (Blue?) Bells of Scotland. They don't have piano accompaniments but for a decent pianist it would just be fun to make something up, wouldn't it?

#14 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:40 AM

I know exactly which piece you mean, I even know what the sheet music looks like -- and like you I've been trying to find a copy. Sheila Nelson in London has it in her library, but I've never seen it anywhere else. However, she has published another excellent Farmer piece, Hope told a Flattering Tale, in her anthology The Romantic Violinist (Boosey & Hawkes).
I've rescued a very old copy of Farmer's violin method book from a library trash pile once, and as I'm guessing the copyright years are over, if you'd be interested I could scan a couple of other "themes with variations" from there and send them to you. There is at least one on Twinkle, twinkle and one on The (Blue?) Bells of Scotland. They don't have piano accompaniments but for a decent pianist it would just be fun to make something up, wouldn't it?

+++++++++++++++++

Thank you. I am glad you noticed my post and responded.

Just this afternoon I got a call from the library that used inter-library loan to make a copy of the piece.
After many hours of my running from library to library, I finally got hold of one copy. It was by Farmer.
Nice variation, I must say.. Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users