• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polkat

polkat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

I've asked this before but the responses were not direct to the question. I have heard that acetone can be used to remove spirit varnish (no, I wouldn't do this on a valueable instrument). If so, what effect might it accidentally have on glue joints? Thanks!

#2 Johnmasters

Johnmasters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4395 posts
  • LocationColumbus

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've asked this before but the responses were not direct to the question. I have heard that acetone can be used to remove spirit varnish (no, I wouldn't do this on a valueable instrument). If so, what effect might it accidentally have on glue joints? Thanks!

Acetone and water will mix in any proportion. I don't know if acetone is hydroscopic, but it might introduce water to the glue. What is wrong with straight alcohol? Acetone is not very fast anyway.

Methylene cloride removers will work well and not blotch the finish if the violin has been sized with glue. I have done many German factory violins and never had a problem. The final mess is cleaned off with lacquer thinner (toluene and other things.) Four-ought steel wool is good.

#3 polkat

polkat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

I tried rubbing alcohol and it removed a little bit of color, but not much else. I have a can of something called Denatured Alcohol Solvent. Would that work as well?

#4 Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:26 AM

If you put plaster of paris in your denatured alcohol this will remove all the water making it cut better

#5 Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

If you put plaster of paris in your denatured alcohol this will remove all the water making it cut better

#6 FiddleDoug

FiddleDoug

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • LocationHilton, NY

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:40 AM

Denatured alcohol is closer to the alcohol used in spirit varnish than rubbing alcohol. Should work better. Try to stay away from methylene chloride and toluene and xylene, all are toxic. As for the effect of acetone on glue joints- acetone may dehydrate the glue and open seams.

#7 Fellow

Fellow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5180 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

+++++++++++

I would not use acetone to remove varnish. Any varnish remover in a hadware store can do the job. Why
use such strong chemical? The clean up job is messy. Most likely re-varnishing job is not anything better than
the original. Just my experience. Why re-varnishing? A terrible idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users