• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polkat

polkat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

Does anyone have an image showing proper violin fingerboard scoop, and maybe an explaination on how to acheive it? And has this been a fairly standard process over the cneturies?

#2 Dean_Lapinel

Dean_Lapinel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2619 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Does anyone have an image showing proper violin fingerboard scoop, and maybe an explaination on how to acheive it? And has this been a fairly standard process over the cneturies?

This was a good recent thread on this subject:

Scoop

#3 polkat

polkat

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

Yes, I read that thread, and it was quite informative, but I'd like to see an image of a fingerboard with the correct scoop, so I can get an idea in my mind of the actual shape. Having never done this before, I'm about to try and cut the scoop in a new fingerboard that is actually slightly convex on the top. It's a new board with a very flat bottom, so it is not warped. Seems it's hard to find fingerboards these days that are nicely shaped to begin with.

I am assuming from the thread you mentioned that the scoop should be centered about midway on the board, starting maybe 30mm out from the nut and maybe 50mm from the free end, about 1mm deep, and favor the bass side, but it's easiest for me to do the work if I can see what it should look like. Thanks for responding!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users