53 replies to this topic

#1 zefir68

zefir68

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationconnecticut

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:32 AM

I have tried all the old threads but can't seem to find a violin bridge template that I can purchase in order to make bridges for my students. My father who has been making bridges for ages has a system that I just don't get to make the curve right. I have seen videos that show this template and just can't find a specimen to buy. I don't want to encroach on the territory of professionals, but my guy moved away to retirement and I don't trust the guys in my town. I would like to make my own bridges. Any help?

#2 Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

http://violinbridges...bridgecurve.php

here's some downloadable ones. It just requires a small but fair donation.
====================================

" please to forgive delivery of violin, reason for the strong heat of the sun, to put cracks in my logic. "

#3 violinbridges

violinbridges

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:42 AM

www.dick.biz also sell some aluminium ones.

regards
"measure twice cut once"

#4 COB3

COB3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, OR

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:48 AM

International Violin Co. in Baltimore sells a set of steel templates...I don't have the catalog at hand, but the set includes violin viola and cello templates for both bridges and fingerboards...and I am told they are considered to be pretty standard shapes, accepted by the lutherie community at large.

Chet Bishop

(later edit)
I went and checked the catalog-- the templates are not cheap, at $40, and they are not steel, as I thought, but anodized aluminum. Funny, I have a set, and had not noticed...
Chet Bishop
My website, such as it is...
Intelligence and wisdom don't always arrive in the same package...and even when they do, some assembly is required.

#5 FiddleDoug

FiddleDoug

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • LocationHilton, NY

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

You can make your own template. Use a compass set at 41-42 mm to make the curve on something that you can cut out. (Cardboard, aluminum, plastic, thin wood). This measurement is for 4/4 violin.

#6 ~ Ben Conover

~ Ben Conover

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4227 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

Make your own out of copper or aluminium, set compas or dividers with radius of 42mm.
The Beare pattern has a little bit of a hump at the crown, which makes string crossing and double stops, a little easier.

#7 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4115 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

You can make your own bridge templates from the drawings in "Useful Measurements for Violin Makers."

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#8 violinbridges

violinbridges

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Make your own out of copper or aluminium, set compas or dividers with radius of 42mm.
The Beare pattern has a little bit of a hump at the crown, which makes string crossing and double stops, a little easier.

Its not just a radius, to put it simplistically the curve flattens out on the edges, but they vary greatly from shop to country to violin school to period.

The hump in the middle seems to be a very modern addition?? and I think came from france.

anyone?

Gerard
"measure twice cut once"

#9 Jimmy_Hill

Jimmy_Hill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

advice from me(not a professional by any meaning of the word) if your talking making them from scratch(starting with a chunk of wood) ive always found it easier to plane it to the desired angle BEFORE cutting it, after the cuts are in it gets a little hard to plane, as for templates originally I tried tracing one with a pencil, very un consistant, whats worked for me is to photo copy a bridge and paste the actual paper onto your wood, it works pretty well for me atleast. (also easier if you start with a very nice bridge)

if you want to know what not to do, im your man haha
Guess what? I have flaws.
What are they? Oh I donno, I sing in the shower?
Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering.
Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car.
So sue me-- no, don't sue me.
That is opposite the point I'm trying to make.

#10 stradofear

stradofear

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Location1787 NW

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Its not just a radius, to put it simplistically the curve flattens out on the edges, but they vary greatly from shop to country to violin school to period.

The hump in the middle seems to be a very modern addition?? and I think came from france.

anyone?

Gerard

The whole bit about a hump is a bit of a red herring. The shape could be a two-sided roof and do exactly the same thing. The hump (and the straightening towards the ends) changes the look of the top into a more dynamic and stronger line, but doesn't alter it from having the strings themselves resting on a 42mm, or whatever, radius, and doesn't have anything to do with the practical function of the top of the bridge--it's completely visual. What you might see from time to time is a very slight variation in either the height of the A or D string relative to the true radius, to compensate for the particular strings a player uses, and this should be customized to the player's choice of strings. For instance, a silver Dominant D is smaller in diameter than an aluminum one, and must be raised a bit for the top of the string to be in the right place relative to the bowing. This will alter the position of the bottom of the string, but the tops still fall on a circle.

The first photo: The green circle is a radius. The red lines are a roof that does the same thing, obviously. The change beyond the outer strings doesn't do anything, or course,. You can see that the Herdim template is different here from the old Sacconi-style template (blue steel) behind it, and that the Sacconi template is very slightly rounder, holding the center strings very slightly higher (on a smaller circle--they're both the same distance above the Herdim template and the circle).

bridge_top.jpg

The second photo: This bridge exaggerates the hump middle-straightened ends curve, but the stings still have to lie on a circle (I haven't checked if these do, but if not, a player will discover it very quickly), or it wouldn't work! (No skin under the E--you can see it cutting in, already!)

flat_top.jpg

#11 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

Huh ? Doesn't everyone do it that way now?

roofbridge.jpg

Stradofear -- great diagram. Just set me to laughing. Since I had a couple of quick bridge-fits this afternoon, had to give it a try.

Easy to fit a straight line to 2 points. How many times have I had a fiddler come in wanting a flatter bridge because they were having trouble with double-stops? T'weren't the bridge. Now shifting between pairs of strings, that's another story.

Anyway, I'll finish up this one more conventionally. Found it was conceptually easy to think about, but hard to fit the straight line to the 2 points. I imagine it would be quite a challenge on a 5- or 6-string instrument (modified barn roof :) ).

Guess I'll stick with a rounded template with the ability to float it around easier.

Fun stuff, though. -- thanks,

Ken

#12 Oded Kishony

Oded Kishony

genralissimo

• Members
  • 6086 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia, USA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

I think that bridge templates should be 'female'-ie concave rather than convex. That way after the grooves are cut and the strings are in place, all the strings should touch the template. This way it doesn't matter if the strings are thick or thin.

Oded
visit my home page at:
www.kishonyviolins.com

#13 stradofear

stradofear

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Location1787 NW

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

Since I had a couple of quick bridge-fits this afternoon, had to give it a try.

Nice work. I have heard that while you work you also wear a hat shaped like a pyramid. True, or lies from your competition? :-)

#14 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Conical. Pyramidal is so last year.

#15 stradofear

stradofear

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Location1787 NW

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Conical. Pyramidal is so last year.

Spoken like a math guy. But stand in the right place, and they are the same.

#16 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

Ah, but stand in the wrong place, and you're squaring the circle. Hard to do.

#17 Ken Pollard

Ken Pollard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationNampa, Idaho

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

Zefir68,

Didn't mean to hijack the thread -- depending on how many bridges you anticipate, you can just cut a template in card stock, like from a 3x5 card. If your careful, such as marking the bridge with a pencil, it will last a fair time.

I made mine by tracing the Strobel template onto paper, then gluing it onto thin aluminum, cutting and filing to shape. I cut more than a few bridges in a year, and I've been using the same template for over 10 years (and it's not the roof-line template!) You can get the whole family -- fractional violins, violas, and cellos -- that way.

Ken

#18 David Burgess

David Burgess

Dinky Member

• Members
  • 6935 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

I think that bridge templates should be 'female'-ie concave rather than convex. That way after the grooves are cut and the strings are in place, all the strings should touch the template. This way it doesn't matter if the strings are thick or thin.

Oded

Exactly.
It's the playing surface of the strings that matters.

............................................................................................................................

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you."

Burgess Instruments
Oberlin Restoration Workshops

#19 troutabout

troutabout

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

I like to cut my bridges with the 'cam shape' top. It's not a true 42 whatever radius but more of a diminishing radius.

#20 zefir68

zefir68

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationconnecticut

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:36 AM

Thank you, all. I will try the compass thing tomorrow. My father has a way that is hard to explain, but works great. He starts out measuring the highest string and lowest strings, depending on the instrument, (Violin, viola, cello or bass) then he lines up the next string by looking from the bass side and placing it in a line of sight between from the third string and first string so that there is app. a 1mm clearing on a violin, other measurements for the larger instruments. Then the next string, same process. It works great and I think somewhere along the way attains the same sophisticated shape that allows for accurate single string playing and multiple-stop playing like the Bach solo sonatas and partitas. His way, I am terrible at. Making a better bridge for my students using their old bridge curve, I can do. I have a few instruments from an old collector (insert joke here) that I am having fun with and am experimenting with everything. Finding that bridge shape has a HUGE impact on sound. Appreciate my retired and displaced luthier more and more. Why do so many of you guys pick up and leave for the warm weather and sights of NM and AZ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users