Fingerboard planing jig

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DougP

DougP

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Does anyone have ideas on a good jig to hold fingerboards while planing them? I have tried various homemade clamping devices but they don't give good access to the plane.

Thanks,

DougP.

#2 barnesviolins

barnesviolins

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

Do you have a bench with a vice and bench dogs? I clamp my fingerboard longways with a 1 inch board cut just slightly narrower than the fingerboard underneath and plane the board that way.

Dorian
Bradford B., Dorian

"It takes a lot of paper towels to make a violin. " A.L. Stancel

#3 Brad H

Brad H

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Here is an old thread dealing with fingerboard holders. Unfortunately the link to the image no longer works, but I will try to find another. There is a description and picture on pg 180 of the Courtnall/Johnson Art of Violin Making book.

Fingerboard Thread

#4 GMM22

GMM22

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

What about gluing scrap wood to the bottom, and then clamping the scrap wood in a bench vise?

Edit: I imagined you were wanting to hog material off the convex side before attaching, and thus needed clearance for tilting at the edges, which are not free with the holder below.
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it. AE

#5 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

The standard fingerboard-planing fixture that I am aware of is just a small board the same length, width and taper as the fingerboard. Rails are glued the the edges to hold the fingerboard in place. One side is flat for planing the playing surface of the fingerboard. The other side, for planing the flat surface, is hollowed out to match the curvature of the playing surface.

I made a slight variation of this fixture by sawing it lengthwise through the middle and attaching the the halves together with bolts and wing nuts so the taper can be adjusted. I'll try to put up a picture of it.

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#6 Seth_Leigh

Seth_Leigh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1944 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words. In this case, I guess it's two thousand.

#7 DougP

DougP

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Thanks to all of you. Good ideas. I will get busy and build one today.

DougP.

#8 Brad Dorsey

Brad Dorsey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

Here is my adjustable-taper fingerboard holding fixture. When I use it I either hold it in my hand or brace it against the bench stop.

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

#9 Seth_Leigh

Seth_Leigh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1944 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Oooh, I like Brad's! Brad, that's a very cool fixture.

#10 fingerbord

fingerbord

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

Take a 6in.X4in.x3ft. of cedar. on one end cut the shape of a fingerboard. Now you can clamp the cedar wedge cut out together around your fingerboard.This is a very old method. But a very good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users