• Announcements

• ghunt

Forum Update *UPDATED*   12/30/16

If you are a Maestronet member, you will likely have noticed a major upgrade to our forum software. This new software improves on a number of areas - one of the biggest is mobile support. This new format is responsive, and so will work nicely on browsers of all sizes. Other improvements will be forthcoming shortly, including SSL for the entire site. A few notes that will help you with the new setup: Your username for logging in is now either your screen name, or your email address - either will work. Your old username will no longer work. When typing a message, the system will periodically auto-save your content as you type. If you lose connection, or return at another time, simply to back to the conversation or thread, hit the Reply button, and your saved content will be there ready for editing. There is a link at the top right of every page labelled "Unread Content" which will show you in a nice timeline view new content. The site can send notifications to your browser, but this can be turned off. Have a look around and check out some of the new features. If you notice anything off, post in News, or PM Jeff or Glenn and we will look into it. Happy New Year from the Maestronet Team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tabbicat

Barbie Violin!

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone else seen the pink Barbie 1/2 size violin that is currently being sold for only $50 by major retailers? My mom called and told me about it while I happened to be at Walmart. I had to go check it out! It totally made my day, although I kinda felt weird standing in the aisle alone and laughing. Oh yes, and there is also a guitar and piano if you would like to begin your own band!

If you're serious about a violin for Barbie or G.I. Joe, here's a page for you. http://www.firebirdarts.com/mini/9mistring01c.shtml

Here's a doll that comes with her own cello.

Glad to know Bontempi is still with us. One of their earlier toys had full-size keys before anything by Casio did. I know, 'cause I used one to whack out my partwriting assignments in graduate school. ">Violin DoraBontempi

Sorry about the tangled editing on the above post. The Bontempi link is for the Barbie violin. I love Bontempi. Years ago they beat Casio in producing an electronic toy piano with standard-size keys. On a tip from a fellow teacher, I got one on special order. (Casio had the local merchants sewed up.) That keyboard saved my impoverished neck when I was in graduate school as a commuter student and needed something for plunking out my theory assignments.

I think it would also make MY day. Now I have an excuse to run out to Walmart. (I wonder if they also have it at Toys R Us.)

I've made a note to check Target when I'm there today. Walmart is a store I seek to avoid.

Last Saturday I did the rounds of the toy departments. I went to Walmart, Kmart, Target and Toys R Us. I did not see a Barbie violin. I wonder if it is only sold in certain parts of the country. Is it a half size "real" violin, or is it plastic?

Toys R Us does have a number of guitars, including actual wooden ones. I shudder to think what the quality is like.

I looked for it last Tuesday, even in Walmart, and likewise struck out. Guitar-shaped items were abundant. Even though the fiddle is the state instrument of Missouri, you must remember one thing: " Yew could poke yer EYE out with that!"

The "violin" that I saw was wooden (although I think it was pine or something like that) and pink. My mom saw it in KC and I saw it in small town Oklahoma where I go to school. Sorry that ya'll couldn't enjoy the pleasure that I recieved from seeing this instrument.

Made of wood, you say? I wonder if Bontempi would consider making one with a natural-looking finish? This finish could be some kind of clear plastic, 'cause the instrument is electronic, right? Cracker Barrel actually carried something like this about ten years ago, and it was a hoot. They stopped because of the constant sound of people trying it in their stores.

Last week's tour of toy departments was enlightening. It's probably something that teachers who have no children at home should do on a regular basis. As always, I find that toys with observable physics are the coolest. We used to call these "boys' toys", but haven't we always known better?

All of a sudden I got a flash about a Civil War action figure with a full beard and uniforms of both North and South. He is, of course, as St. Louis re-enactor. His violin is a carbon fiber acoustic quarter-size with functional D and A strings and a bow you really could poke your eye out with.

Where is Michael. Michael could do it.

Bontempi Watch

Saturday I was at KB Toys at a local mall. No violins there but KB does have one at their website.