Barbie Violin!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tabbicat

Tabbicat

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

Has anyone else seen the pink Barbie 1/2 size violin that is currently being sold for only $50 by major retailers? My mom called and told me about it while I happened to be at Walmart. I had to go check it out! It totally made my day, although I kinda felt weird standing in the aisle alone and laughing. Oh yes, and there is also a guitar and piano if you would like to begin your own band!

#2 Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

If you're serious about a violin for Barbie or G.I. Joe, here's a page for you. http://www.firebirdarts.com/mini/9mistring01c.shtml

Here's a doll that comes with her own cello. Violin DoraBontempi

#3 Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Sorry about the tangled editing on the above post. The Bontempi link is for the Barbie violin. I love Bontempi. Years ago they beat Casio in producing an electronic toy piano with standard-size keys. On a tip from a fellow teacher, I got one on special order. (Casio had the local merchants sewed up.) That keyboard saved my impoverished neck when I was in graduate school as a commuter student and needed something for plunking out my theory assignments.

#4 Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

I think it would also make MY day. Now I have an excuse to run out to Walmart. (I wonder if they also have it at Toys R Us.)

#5 Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

I've made a note to check Target when I'm there today. Walmart is a store I seek to avoid.

#6 Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

Last Saturday I did the rounds of the toy departments. I went to Walmart, Kmart, Target and Toys R Us. I did not see a Barbie violin. I wonder if it is only sold in certain parts of the country. Is it a half size "real" violin, or is it plastic?

Toys R Us does have a number of guitars, including actual wooden ones. I shudder to think what the quality is like.

#7 Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

I looked for it last Tuesday, even in Walmart, and likewise struck out. Guitar-shaped items were abundant. Even though the fiddle is the state instrument of Missouri, you must remember one thing: " Yew could poke yer EYE out with that!"

#8 Tabbicat

Tabbicat

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:48 AM

The "violin" that I saw was wooden (although I think it was pine or something like that) and pink. My mom saw it in KC and I saw it in small town Oklahoma where I go to school. Sorry that ya'll couldn't enjoy the pleasure that I recieved from seeing this instrument.

#9 Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

Made of wood, you say? I wonder if Bontempi would consider making one with a natural-looking finish? This finish could be some kind of clear plastic, 'cause the instrument is electronic, right? Cracker Barrel actually carried something like this about ten years ago, and it was a hoot. They stopped because of the constant sound of people trying it in their stores.

Last week's tour of toy departments was enlightening. It's probably something that teachers who have no children at home should do on a regular basis. As always, I find that toys with observable physics are the coolest. We used to call these "boys' toys", but haven't we always known better?

All of a sudden I got a flash about a Civil War action figure with a full beard and uniforms of both North and South. He is, of course, as St. Louis re-enactor. His violin is a carbon fiber acoustic quarter-size with functional D and A strings and a bow you really could poke your eye out with.

Where is Michael. Michael could do it.

Bontempi Watch

#10 outside

outside

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:07 AM

If anyone wants a look without having to leave the comfort of your own study;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BARBIE-V...wItem#ebayphotohosting

#11 Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

Saturday I was at KB Toys at a local mall. No violins there but KB does have one at their website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users