• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mmmm

mmmm

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:22 AM

Any thoughts on this violin? Quite frankly the seller makes me nervous, but just curious about what the experts think...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Moder...VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 Regis

Regis

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:28 AM

A search within the last several months will give you several folks view on this seller and their items

#3 Singingmaple

Singingmaple

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

I saw that one on thursday night. A friend and I were looking through auctions on Ebay amaized by some of the junk that gets passed off. I think we looked it up and couldn't find a maker by the labeled name. (out of 10 labels that we looked up only one was actually listed as a maker but died 20 years before it was made.) I remember this one getting a good laugh though because of the varnish.

#4 raymanrmd123

raymanrmd123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

..."Enrico Robella" was a tradename for a Markneukirchen manufacturer and has a good reputation...Elderly Instruments sometimes has examples -- e.g www.elderly.com/items/110U-4138.htm but which is already sold (photos are still there, however)...examples from the early thirties are quite good and their "Guarnerius" model in particular from that era is really quite excellent...Wichita instruments (www.wichitaband.com/violin.html) had a Strad model from 1930 listed for $2750 but it is already sold as well.

#5 raymanrmd123

raymanrmd123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:21 PM

"Enrico Robella" was the tradename for a Markneukirchen manufacturer...their instruments have a good reputation -- in particular those from the thirties or earlier...Elderly Instruments sometimes carry them -- e.g. www.elderly.com/items/110U-4138.htm which is already sold although the photos are still available for viewing...Wichita Instruments (www.wichitaband.com/violin.htm) also had an example of a Strad model for $2750 but it is already sold as well...Robella's Guarnerius model from that era in particular is really quite excellent.

#6 raymanrmd123

raymanrmd123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Sorry for the duplication of posts but when I hit "reply to topic" I get an error message and it's unclear whether the post goes through or not.

#7 Michael Darnton

Michael Darnton

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10728 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:29 PM

I had always heard that Enrico Robella was a Roth pseudonym (Ernst-heiNRIChO ROth), and never had reason to question that until I saw one the other day with a good original, never-moved label was definitely a John Juzek. Now I'm wondering if it was just a name for a wholesaler who collected instruments wherever he could find them, but mostly from Roth. The violin in this thread looks a lot like a Roth model, but not a Roth varnish job.
http://darntonhersh.com
http://darntonviolins.com
http://flickr.com/photos/mdarnton
http://mdarnton.tumblr.com/

Some people will never learn anything because they understand everything too soon.
-Alexander Pope

#8 Richf

Richf

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1543 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

In response to an inquiry about another of the many Roth pseudonyms, the Roth company recently confirmed for me that Enrico Robella was one of the names that they used. Michael may well be right that Juzek marketed some of the same instruments. I don't know. I do know that there has been a lot of discussion here about this seller premiereviolin, and the chances that this is NOT a Roth or a Juzek (or even the violin in the photos) are excellent.

#9 Tuckers

Tuckers

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:30 AM

I have had Ebay dealings with Premier Violins (Jonathan Bloom) and I woudn't believe ANY claim he would make. I would never do business with him again.

#10 apartmentluthier

apartmentluthier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

This seller intentionally markets this as a "Modern Italian" violin and a REAL maker, rather than a trade name violin. I have an Enrico Robella 1933 that is a decent fiddle, but to palm it off as modern Italian just because of the Milan reference on the label is a bit too much.

The shop that consigned it for 16.5k must have been a) retarded :) non-existent

#11 miles

miles

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationElectronic Territorial

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++

have had Ebay dealings with Premier Violins (Jonathan Bloom) and I woudn't believe ANY claim he would make.

++++++++++++++++++++++

That said, bidders should be wary of the "unclaimed" as well. The two condistions are taken directly from his disclaimer. His auctions seem to end at pretty high price (on eBay) and what bothers me is the private bidding business.

Disclaimer:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. All property is sold "as is". There is no return or refund policy. Neither Premiere Violins, nor any consignor makes any guarantees of any kind or nature with respect to the property unless specifically stated in the auction description. All of our items are represented by their incredibly detailed and clear photos - you will receive exactly what you see in the auction photos, and nothing more. If you would like to request additional photos of any aspect of any item listed, please feel free to email and we will have them taken for you right away.

3. We do our very best to fairly and accurately describe our items. Our incredibly detailed photos are available to help you decide if you wish to bid on this item. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Premiere Violins shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the item is in perfect condition.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users