• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnT

JohnT

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 1998 - 09:44 PM

:
: : I am looking for information on an old violin with the label: "Joannes Jais me fecit Bulfani in Tyroli 1772" It has a grafted neck with an old hand carved scroll, a one piece back of highly flamed maple, flamed ribs and tight grained top. It looks like it was revarnished or with a spirit varnish many years ago since it looks somewhat worn. I would appreciate any information on this maker and the quality of his instruments. Thank you.

: Hi,
: according to Henley (1997), Johann Jais worked at Botzen (Tyrol). b. 1732, d. 1780. son of Franz... Models have medium arching... Altogether excellent examples of Tyrolese work. Splendid wood in grain, figure, and acoustically. Red brown or yellow brown varnish. Sweet and round tone, smooth and warm. Sold for 30-65 pounds Sterling in 1960.
: : John Travers

Jeff
Sincerst thanks for info on Johann Jais.I did not have any information on his background. The description you gave bears out my impression of the quality of construction and the sweet, round tone of the Jais violin. I picked it up fairly cheap because it had been lightly revarnished some time ago with a spirit varnish over the original finish. I did notice in the Maestronet price guide that a Johann Jais was auctioned for $10,800. I don't know if my violin is an authentic Jais, but it is quite old with a grafted neck and some bushed pegs. However, despite the re-varnishing, it is in remarkably good condition
At present, I'm trying out different srtings: Eudoxa, Dominant and Tonica and all sound great with subtle differences in the tone produced . I'm fairly new to this board and find the people very helpful. Thanks again. John

• Guests

Posted 01 January 1998 - 03:51 PM

I am looking for information on an old violin with the label: "Joannes Jais me fecit Bulfani in Tyroli 1772" It has a grafted neck with an old hand carved scroll, a one piece back of highly flamed maple, flamed ribs and tight grained top. It looks like it was revarnished or with a spirit varnish many years ago since it looks somewhat worn. I would appreciate any information on this maker and the quality of his instruments. Thank you.
John Travers

#3 blarney_pilgrim

blarney_pilgrim

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 1998 - 04:23 PM

: I am looking for information on an old violin with the label: "Joannes Jais me fecit Bulfani in Tyroli 1772" It has a grafted neck with an old hand carved scroll, a one piece back of highly flamed maple, flamed ribs and tight grained top. It looks like it was revarnished or with a spirit varnish many years ago since it looks somewhat worn. I would appreciate any information on this maker and the quality of his instruments. Thank you.

Hi,
according to Henley (1997), Johann Jais worked at Botzen (Tyrol). b. 1732, d. 1780. son of Franz... Models have medium arching... Altogether excellent examples of Tyrolese work. Splendid wood in grain, figure, and acoustically. Red brown or yellow brown varnish. Sweet and round tone, smooth and warm. Sold for 30-65 pounds Sterling in 1960.
: John Travers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users