Violin Shops in Italy???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ricky morgan

ricky morgan

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 1999 - 01:09 PM

: With the potential risk in mind, what would be some good violin makers in Italy worth visiting?

: Victor

:
: : Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

: : S. Hersh

#2 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 02:44 AM

Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

S. Hersh

: : Hi,

: : I was wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable violin shop in Rome and Venice. We'll be in Italy over the Christmas holidays and while the wife and kiddies are out looking at the sights I thought I'd duck into a violin shop. My teacher said that I might be able to pick up a deal but that I'd have to be careful. Is it even worthwhile to buy anything over there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

: : Thanks in Advance,
: : Arthur

: : p.s. Remove the "nospam" to E-mail me directly

#3 Apuleius

Apuleius

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 01:17 PM

: Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.
: S. Hersh

Should we infer from your response, Mr Hersh, that
shops with "inventory and integrity" exist only
outside of Italy ? Wouldn't that be a bit ludicrous ?
The original poster was merely asking for advice on
violin shops to visit, not on how to make a back-alley
deal. As for the "culture of fraud", it is indeed
pervasive in Italy, just like it is anywhere there
is an easy buck to made, be that in Europe, the U.S.
or Antarctica. Appalling generalizations such as yours
tell us more about the poster than about the subject
in question.... :)

#4 Arcomelo

Arcomelo

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 02:30 PM

Apuleius!

I wouldn't take Mr. Hersh's post too badly.
You are a smart guy!
Remember, the following topics will always get you in trouble on this board:

1. Italian violins
2. Tap tuning
3. Amateur makers
4. Disagreeing with Andrew Victor and/or his faithfuls
5. Disagreeing with Al Stancel and/or his faithfuls

and a few others that I am too bored to write.

Just get filter the useful info from the BB and forget the rest. Not worth it!

Anyway:

Glad to see you are still alive!
Send me an e-mail (I only check this address weekly), or give me a call sometime!
Otherwise I will. :-)

Arcomelo Erimanteo

#5 Arthur Friedrich

Arthur Friedrich

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 02:58 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I didn't mean to start a feud. I have never been to Italy and my only intent was to ask for advice from someone with local knowledge so that I don't ruffle feathers unnecessarily.

I should have also asked whether it is customary to be able to play some of the violins in the shop or is that sort of thing frowned upon. Does the proprietor expect you to bargain, etc... I don't want to be unintentionally rude nor do I want to be taken to the cleaners should I decide to purchase something.

Arthur

: Apuleius!

: I wouldn't take Mr. Hersh's post too badly.
: You are a smart guy!
: Remember, the following topics will always get you in trouble on this board:

: 1. Italian violins
: 2. Tap tuning
: 3. Amateur makers
: 4. Disagreeing with Andrew Victor and/or his faithfuls
: 5. Disagreeing with Al Stancel and/or his faithfuls

: and a few others that I am too bored to write.

: Just get filter the useful info from the BB and forget the rest. Not worth it!

: Anyway:

: Glad to see you are still alive!
: Send me an e-mail (I only check this address weekly), or give me a call sometime!
: Otherwise I will. :-)

: Arcomelo Erimanteo

#6 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 03:58 PM

I can only speak from my experience. How much commerce with violins have you been involved in in Italy?

S. Hersh: : Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

: Should we infer from your response, Mr Hersh, that
: shops with "inventory and integrity" exist only
: outside of Italy ? Wouldn't that be a bit ludicrous ?
: The original poster was merely asking for advice on
: violin shops to visit, not on how to make a back-alley
: deal. As for the "culture of fraud", it is indeed
: pervasive in Italy, just like it is anywhere there
: is an easy buck to made, be that in Europe, the U.S.
: or Antarctica. Appalling generalizations such as yours
: tell us more about the poster than about the subject
: in question.... :)

#7 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 03:58 PM

I can only speak from my experience. How much commerce with violins have you been involved in in Italy?

S. Hersh: : Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

: Should we infer from your response, Mr Hersh, that
: shops with "inventory and integrity" exist only
: outside of Italy ? Wouldn't that be a bit ludicrous ?
: The original poster was merely asking for advice on
: violin shops to visit, not on how to make a back-alley
: deal. As for the "culture of fraud", it is indeed
: pervasive in Italy, just like it is anywhere there
: is an easy buck to made, be that in Europe, the U.S.
: or Antarctica. Appalling generalizations such as yours
: tell us more about the poster than about the subject
: in question.... :)

#8 victor

victor

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 05:36 PM

With the potential risk in mind, what would be some good violin makers in Italy worth visiting?

Victor

: Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

#9 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 06:56 PM

Two makers whom I know personally and whose work I have imported in my previous business are Alessandro Ciciliati in Ferrara and Ivano Corati in Bologna. Both of these makers make refined and beautiful instruments in the styles of the cities in which they live. As the era of mass standardization marches forward, regional style violin making is becoming increasingly rare in Italy. Because these makers work is fine and the prices are not hyped I believe they represent good value in the market place.

S. Hersh

: With the potential risk in mind, what would be some good violin makers in Italy worth visiting?

: Victor

:
: : Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

#10 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 07:00 PM

: Thanks to all who responded. I didn't mean to start a feud. I have never been to Italy and my only intent was to ask for advice from someone with local knowledge so that I don't ruffle feathers unnecessarily.

: I should have also asked whether it is customary to be able to play some of the violins in the shop or is that sort of thing frowned upon. Does the proprietor expect you to bargain, etc... I don't want to be unintentionally rude nor do I want to be taken to the cleaners should I decide to purchase something.

: Arthur

: : Apuleius!

: : I wouldn't take Mr. Hersh's post too badly.
: : You are a smart guy!
: : Remember, the following topics will always get you in trouble on this board:

: : 1. Italian violins
: : 2. Tap tuning
: : 3. Amateur makers
: : 4. Disagreeing with Andrew Victor and/or his faithfuls
: : 5. Disagreeing with Al Stancel and/or his faithfuls

: : and a few others that I am too bored to write.

: : Just get filter the useful info from the BB and forget the rest. Not worth it!

: : Anyway:

: : Glad to see you are still alive!
: : Send me an e-mail (I only check this address weekly), or give me a call sometime!
: : Otherwise I will. :-)

: : Arcomelo Erimanteo

#11 Isaac Hans

Isaac Hans

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 1999 - 03:02 PM

: Two makers whom I know personally and whose work I have imported in my previous business are Alessandro Ciciliati in Ferrara and Ivano Corati in Bologna. Both of these makers make refined and beautiful instruments in the styles of the cities in which they live. As the era of mass standardization marches forward, regional style violin making is becoming increasingly rare in Italy. Because these makers work is fine and the prices are not hyped I believe they represent good value in the market place.

: : With the potential risk in mind, what would be some good violin makers in Italy worth visiting?

: : Victor

: :
: : : Buying violins in Italy is not for the risk aversive. Unless one is buying a makers instrument directly from the maker one should be extremely wary. The culture of fraud in Italy is pervasive; the U.S. consumers view of such practice is regarded as puritanical there. Violins are difficult objects to understand, even for the well initiated. That is why I recommend that retail buyers ally themselves with shops with inventory and integrity, who stand behind what they sell.

: : : S. Hersh

#12 Arthur Friedrich

Arthur Friedrich

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable violin shop in Rome and Venice. We'll be in Italy over the Christmas holidays and while the wife and kiddies are out looking at the sights I thought I'd duck into a violin shop. My teacher said that I might be able to pick up a deal but that I'd have to be careful. Is it even worthwhile to buy anything over there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Arthur

p.s. Remove the "nospam" to E-mail me directly

#13 mike

mike

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 04:03 PM

: Hi,

: I was wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable violin shop in Rome and Venice. We'll be in Italy over the Christmas holidays and while the wife and kiddies are out looking at the sights I thought I'd duck into a violin shop. My teacher said that I might be able to pick up a deal but that I'd have to be careful. Is it even worthwhile to buy anything over there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks in Advance,

: p.s. Remove the "nospam" to E-mail me directly

#14 Brian Buckley

Brian Buckley

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 1999 - 07:51 PM

: Hi,

: I was wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable violin shop in Rome and Venice. We'll be in Italy over the Christmas holidays and while the wife and kiddies are out looking at the sights I thought I'd duck into a violin shop. My teacher said that I might be able to pick up a deal but that I'd have to be careful. Is it even worthwhile to buy anything over there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks in Advance,

: p.s. Remove the "nospam" to E-mail me directly

Arthur,
Do you read italian? Try looking at a good search engine like altavista.com and typing in
'Italian' for language and "liutaio' or 'liuteria'
plus Roma or Venezia and see what comes up - it may give you some ideas. Good luck and

buon viaggio,
omobono

#15 me

me

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 July 1999 - 10:29 AM

Other topics that will lead to trouble:

6. String brands
7. Which musician is better
8. Which teacher is better

0 user(s) are reading this topic