Eduard Reichert?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 1998 - 08:46 PM

I have at times, owned several bows branded E. Reichert. These were all decent bows in the Weichold style, which I wholesaled in the $1000-$1500 range. I have owned one violin labelled Edward Reichert. It was a good, if generic, Dresden violin. In 1995 I wholesaled that violin for $3600.00

S. Hersh

#2 Jay Maiurano

Jay Maiurano

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 October 1998 - 04:36 PM

Thanks! The $3600 violin- was that with or without a bow? The bow I have has been replaced at some point. It's an "A. WEICHOLD." Why is it that some bows are so expensive, sometimes more than the violin itself?

Jay

: I have at times, owned several bows branded E. Reichert. These were all decent bows in the Weichold style, which I wholesaled in the $1000-$1500 range. I have owned one violin labelled Edward Reichert. It was a good, if generic, Dresden violin. In 1995 I wholesaled that violin for $3600.00

: S. Hersh

#3 S. Hersh

S. Hersh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 October 1998 - 05:56 PM

The $3600.00 was for the violin alone...no case no bow no strings or fittings (except pegs maybe) But don't assume that your violin is worth the same price. Prices are dependant on a number of factors including the quality, condition, and measurements of the example at hand, and market forces and conditions of the sale. This is why a retail house is generally in a position to charge more than the average retail consumer.By the way your Weichold bow may be worth a bit as well. The best Weichold bows which I have seen are branded Imitation du Tourte an the opposite side of the butt end from the Weichold brand. In any case you will need expert help to determine what the things are worth, and how to go about getting the highest price for them if you want to sell them.

Bows have become valuable for the same reasons that violins have; bows have intrinsic value as tools, collectible value as artistic creations of a rare craft, consequently these rare antiquities have a thriving and growing demand upon a finite supply which causes prices to rise over time.

S. Hersh

: Thanks! The $3600 violin- was that with or without a bow? The bow I have has been replaced at some point. It's an "A. WEICHOLD." Why is it that some bows are so expensive, sometimes more than the violin itself?

: Jay

: : I have at times, owned several bows branded E. Reichert. These were all decent bows in the Weichold style, which I wholesaled in the $1000-$1500 range. I have owned one violin labelled Edward Reichert. It was a good, if generic, Dresden violin. In 1995 I wholesaled that violin for $3600.00

: : S. Hersh

#4 Jay Maiurano

Jay Maiurano

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 1998 - 07:25 PM

I have read several postings on this BB about Eduard Reichert, but since they aren't recent, I was wondering if anyone had any or more information about the man and his violins. How can one tell if the violin was actually made by Eduard himself?
I have a violin which states (stamped in ink):
"Eduard Reichert
Dresden, fecit anno 1909",
with the "09" written in. I'm sure that cannot distinguish the maker from colleagues, but is there something else that is a tell-tale sign? Of course, I am interested in a price for something like this, but just out of curiousity.
If anyone can tell me more about the maker and his violins, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay Maiurano

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users