Joseph Bohmann Violin

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnT

JohnT

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 1998 - 02:26 PM

: I recently aquired a voilin with the inside label reading: "Joseph Bohmann, Quality of Tone, Chicago, ILL." It dates from sometime before the 1940's. Any information regarding this instrument, or when I can get some info, would be greatly appreciated.

: Thank you!

Roy Ehrhardt in volume 2 of his Violin Identification and Price Guide lists 12 grades of Joseph Bohmann violins selling in 1900 from $33 to $400 - rather high prices for those days. He estimates their value in 1979 to be from $400 to $2,000. Bohmann claimed that he made true copies of all the old masters using very old, thoroughly seasoned wood with a special amber varnish similar to that used by the old masters. He also required that orders be placed at least six months before delivery - indicating that his violins were hand made.
JohnT

#2 egad

egad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 1998 - 01:39 PM

I recently aquired a voilin with the inside label reading: "Joseph Bohmann, Quality of Tone, Chicago, ILL." It dates from sometime before the 1940's. Any information regarding this instrument, or when I can get some info, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

#3 egad

egad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 1998 - 08:16 PM

John T.

I greatly appreciate the information. Thanks so much for the time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users