Ukelin (stringed instrument)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chad Herron

Chad Herron

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 November 1999 - 08:38 PM

i just aquired a ukelin from an older couple, and it was distributed by oscar-schmidt international corp. out of jersey city, new jersey. it has a 1925 copyright date on it and inside the instrument is the original sticker price of $35.00 ...international musical corporation is also associated with it...also has a complete "original" songbook with it...and it looks to have the original bow too.....

#2 DENISE WINNETT

DENISE WINNETT

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 1998 - 03:09 PM

: I just purchased one and I cannot frnd a date on it. The label inside says price was $35. It was manufactred by Ross Tone Co. 150 Liverpool St. East Boston. That's about all I can make off the label. There was no bow nor a book of instructions. It had been in a certail family for many generations. They believe that it is over 100 years old. Does anyone have an idea of the approximate date of manufacture and what it may be worth? I waould appreciate any information that you would share with me.

: Thanks, Richard Johnson

I also just purchased an ukelin, patented April 1926. The inside label is old and torn-but I can read Hoboken New Jersey---something international A 14th and something. I purchased it with no bow. I have other ukelins at home- I will e-mail more later.

#3 chad

chad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 May 1998 - 08:48 AM

dont't know really how to post, but here goes:

My father in law just found a ukelin in his aging mothers
basement. I have never seen one before, but i am
a stringed instrument collector. On the inside, there
is where it was made, by who, the year in which it was made
and the price it went for then. It was produced in
1925, and costed $35. I wonder how much it is worth now?

• Guests

Posted 24 May 1998 - 07:12 PM

Hello,

I also have a ukelin, handed down by my father.
Made in New Jersey. I did some research a few years ago with the Smithsonian Institute and was told that there are too many ukelins to have any historical value. I too would like to learn how to play. If there is anyone in the Washington, DC area who can play, please contact me byway of aol (mommabeast) thanks

#5 Peg Willis

Peg Willis

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 1998 - 06:23 PM

:I have a ukelin which was given to me. It is tuned to a C scale (two octaves) with four chords: C,F,G, and D. I play it with a 1/4 size fiddle bow in the right hand and a lightweight pick in the other hand. I also have several other old unusual instruments. If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me:
: : I just bought a ukelin for 40.00. It was made by the same company! Yet, i still am not sure exactly how to tune it or play it.??

: I also just aquired a ukelin, but mine is made by International Music from Hoboken, N.J. It is played with both a bow and a pick.
: You can bow it in between the metal arches. For tuning, I've found that an autoharp tuning key works quite well.
: The notes for each string is printed on mine. Unfortunately, I'm not home so I can't let you know what string is what right now. E-mail me and I'll let you know in a couple days.
: The only other thing I know now is that the ukelin may also have been called a pianolin.
: If anyone learns anything else about it i'd love to know!

#6 Richard Johnson

Richard Johnson

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 1998 - 08:39 PM

I just purchased one and I cannot frnd a date on it. The label inside says price was $35. It was manufactred by Ross Tone Co. 150 Liverpool St. East Boston. That's about all I can make off the label. There was no bow nor a book of instructions. It had been in a certail family for many generations. They believe that it is over 100 years old. Does anyone have an idea of the approximate date of manufacture and what it may be worth? I waould appreciate any information that you would share with me.

Thanks, Richard Johnson

#7 Pop

Pop

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 October 1997 - 08:38 PM

: : : My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument
: : : : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches
: : : : long and appears to be played either with a pick or a
: : : : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be
: : : : interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such
: : : : an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: : : I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.
: : : The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

: : my e-mail is as follows dcleary@aol.com

#8 Pop

Pop

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 October 1997 - 08:47 PM

: : : My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument
: : : : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches
: : : : long and appears to be played either with a pick or a
: : : : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be
: : : : interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such
: : : : an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: : : I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.
: : : The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

: : my e-mail is as follows dcleary@aol.com

#9 Dave Andrews

Dave Andrews

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 October 1997 - 07:25 PM

I was really looking around for information about repair parts for an autoharp
and was surprised to see the Ukelin references. I have a very old Ukelin I purchased
for $ 5.00 about 35 years ago from a friend. He was cleaning out his mothers estate
and didn't know what it was (I didn't either) so was going to give it to his little kids
for a toy. I played it a little bit, the sound is really nice. The instrument is
in really good shape except the bow needs to be re-strung and the little bit of music I
had for it has disappeared. I can't give anyone any help, I just was interested to
find out that there were that many Ukelins around.
dla.

: : : I also own and play the ukelin. $65.00 is a super deal for this instrument. Th ukelin has a lot of resonance when you play it and sounds quite eerie. It is unusual to play as your left hand plays the rythym while bowing with the right. I like the challenge.

#10 Rosemary Carlson

Rosemary Carlson

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 November 1997 - 08:20 PM

I also just got one of these and the music book and instruction book says it was made in 1925

#11 cary berger

cary berger

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 1997 - 03:41 PM

: : I have a Ukelin also that is currently being restored. What marvelous resonance! Anyway,
: : my strings are shot.

: Hello Suzanne-
: I have had a ukelin for about 15 years. Most of the strings are still original. I do, now and then, break a string , in which case I buy a guitar string as a replacement. I bring the string with me to the music shop, along with a magnifying glass and go through the various gauges of strings until I find one that matches.

: For someone who might actually sell strings you can try calling The Music Inn in Manhattan, New York City (212.243.5715). They are a bit overpriced and sometimes grumpy but a good source for odd musical instruments and parts.

: Also try Lark In The Morning, a huge musical instrument distributer out of California. They also have a website.

: You might try doing a special order with a maker of harp or guitar strings. (Sylvia Woods, a harp distributer based in California would be able to recommend a harp string manufacturer.) There are smaller companys which would probably be able to help you.
: Get your hands on a micrometer, measure the thickness of each strings and send the measurements to the string manufacturer.

: I hope this is of help.

: Happy Ukelining!

#12 cary berger

cary berger

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 1997 - 03:44 PM

I have been fooling around with my ukelin for over 10 years now. (I also have a marxaphone and a hawaiin tremeloa--2 other instruments made by the same manufacturer). I have never replaced the strings, but the strings on the chord side are basically autoharp strings. The strings on the bowed side are kind of like piano strings, however, there is an instrument (i have one but cannot think of the name right now) that is just like the bowed side of a ukelin without the autoharp side--it is still being made and I think still sold by McCabe's guitars in Santa Monica california. Anyway if you are interested in more . . . em ail me.

Cary

#13 Dawn Ely

Dawn Ely

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 September 1997 - 09:59 PM

I too have a Ukelin which was found in my parents
home five years ago. I also have the original
bill of sale. This instrument back in 1927 was
worth $35.00 and was purchased for $15.00. I also
have an instruction book on how to play this
instrument. This Ukelin was purchased from the
International Musical Corporation, 15th and Bloom-
field Street, Hoboken, New Jersey. I also can't
find any information on this instrument as to
the history or todays value. I'd be more than
happy to copy this booklet for you. Send me a
self-stamped addressed envelope to:
Mrs. D. Ely
627 Foss Road
Fenwick, Ontario, Canada
L0S 1C0

• Guests

Posted 08 June 1997 - 11:24 PM

: My parents gave me a ukelin when I was about 10 yrs.old and it hung on my walls for 20 years. It was bought at an antique shop in Nyack, New York for $35, the same price it was sold for originally. I refered to it as my ³egg slicer².

: I would take it down now and then and pluck at the strings by putting a finger through the hoops and strumming at the chords. The sound was enchanting, sounding much like a medieval instrument. The long delay that was possible and the richness of tone reminded me of a cathedral.

: Years later I began recording with a friend and I brought it by to see what we could make of it. He brought it to a music specialty shop and found out what I should have realized years earlied: that it was bowed! The feeling I had of actually knowing how to play the thing was like suddenly knowing the true intent of stonehenge! I was exhilerated. We set to work exploring.

: The man in the shop said the chords were sympathetic strings, resonating when the strings above were bowed. If this is their original intent or not, I don¹t know. But I do know is that I found the overall effect like no other instrument. The sound (when tuned properly, and that¹s quite a trick. Use an electronic tuner if you can get your hands on it.) is intoxicating; sounding between primitive and electric and vast.

: I feel this is an instrument that has ³slipped between the cracks² of twentieth century music. The world could use some good ukelin players. I¹d encourage any and all ukelin owners reading to explore and enjoy this remarkable ghost of an instrument.

My parents gave my a Ukelin that they picked up at a yard sale for $5! I was amazed to hear its played with a bow. Do you need a certain kind of bow? Where should I look for one? Any info would be great!

#15 Bill Connolly -

Bill Connolly -

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 1997 - 10:29 PM

: : My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument
: : : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches
: : : long and appears to be played either with a pick or a
: : : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be
: : : interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such
: : : an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: : I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.
: : The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

: my e-mail is as follows dcleary@aol.com

#16 Bill Connolly -

Bill Connolly -

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 1997 - 10:35 PM

I have one also , mine was sold origanally on 9/9/35.
I got as a birthday presant. It sold at $35.00
but I've been offered between $50 &$150 for it. As far as what it is
really worth I don't have a blue book listing for it. S
So ,if you find out anything more , please contact me.

• Guests

Posted 07 July 1997 - 02:36 PM

: :I have rercently purchased a ukelin and was
: wondering if anyone has any info on on how to play
: it. I did a little research and found there is
: a book in the library of congress, but as of yet
: have not found out how to get a copy of it.
: At present I have my local library doing a nation
: search of this manuscript, if I get a copy I will
: post it in this bulletin board.

• Guests

Posted 07 July 1997 - 02:41 PM

TO LARRY:

I HAVE AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL WITH THE UKELIN THAT I PURCHASED. IT ALSO HAS SOME MUSIC TABLATURE. I CAN PLAY A FEW SONGS ON THIS INSTRUMENT AND IT IS QUITE CHALLENGING TO BOW WITH THE RIGHT HAND WHILE STRUMMING WITH THE LEFT. SEND ME A LETTER AND I'LL PHOTOCOPY THE BOOK FOR YOU. MY ADDRESS IS #101 10305-120 STREET EDMONTON ALBERTA CANADA T5K 2A5

#19 Ellie Sevdy

Ellie Sevdy

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 1997 - 12:45 PM

My Mom purchased a Ulelin through the mail when
she was in her early 20's. She is now 75 years
old.

She had music with it, most of which is lost now.
Since I am an amateur collector of musical
instruments, she gave it to me a couple of years
ago. We all played it as we were growing up.

According to the instructions she was given with
the instrument, you play the long strings between
the metal loops with a bow, but the cords you play
using a pick that wraps around your thumb. The
music came with both the melody and the accompany-
ing chords above.

It is a beautiful instrument and provided us with
many hours of enjoyment.

I did some research a couple of years ago to try
to find the manufacturer. I don't remember the
details now, but it was made by a company in the
east (I think possibly New Jersey) but the company
went out of business many years ago. I'll have to
search again to find my details and also to find
some of the original sheet music she had.

We just went on the inet and I was delighted that
there are others out there that have these instru-
ments!

at the strings by putting a finger through the hoops and strumming at the chords. The sound was enchanting, sounding much like a medieval instrument. The long delay that was possible and the richness of tone reminded me of a cathedral.

: : Years later I began recording with a friend and I brought it by to see what we could make of it. He brought it to a music specialty shop and found out what I should have realized years earlied: that it was bowed! The feeling I had of actually knowing how to play the thing was like suddenly knowing the true intent of stonehenge! I was exhilerated. We set to work exploring.

: : The man in the shop said the chords were sympathetic strings, resonating when the strings above were bowed. If this is their original intent or not, I don¹t know. But I do know is that I found the overall effect like no other instrument. The sound (when tuned properly, and that¹s quite a trick. Use an electronic tuner if you can get your hands on it.) is intoxicating; sounding between primitive and electric and vast.

: : I feel this is an instrument that has ³slipped between the cracks² of twentieth century music. The world could use some good ukelin players. I¹d encourage any and all ukelin owners reading to explore and enjoy this remarkable ghost of an instrument.

: My parents gave my a Ukelin that they picked up at a yard sale for $5! I was amazed to hear its played with a bow. Do you need a certain kind of bow? Where should I look for one? Any info would be great!

#20 suzanne richmond

suzanne richmond

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 1997 - 09:37 AM

:
: : I just found a Ukelin at a second hand store for $65. Is that a good deal? It came with instructions on how to play and also had some sheet music included. I have not purchased it yet. Have you ever heard one played properly? Did it sound nice?
: : Thank you, Ron

: I also own and play the ukelin. $65.00 is a super deal for this instrument. Th ukelin has a lot of resonance when you play it and sounds quite eerie. It is unusual to play as your left hand plays the rythym while bowing with the right. I like the challenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users