16 replies to this topic

#1 David Tseng

David Tseng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationLake of the Woods

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:55 AM

I would like to know if any one ever used Romanian tonewood. How is their accoustic properties.

#2 fiddlecollector

fiddlecollector

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6821 posts
  • LocationNorth of Milton Keynes

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear , i know Hghareeb from Kuwait, who posts on here ordered some and he showed me pictures of what he got. I was very apprehensive about dealing directly with former Eastern Europe and looks like i may be right.
I would NOT send any one money using Western union ,i assume you used the telephone wire method.
They can just collect the money and disappear ,no come backs and Western union admitt no responsibilty. I had a similar experience in the Ukraine which i`d like to forget.

#3 tonewoods

tonewoods

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationOrcas Island

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

"I had a similar experience in the Ukraine which i`d like to forget. "

With a tonewood dealer?
Could you elaborate if "yes", privately if that's more appropriate?
Thanks!

#4 MANFIO

MANFIO

MANFIO

• Members
  • 8503 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo

Posted 16 September 2004 - 01:29 PM

What was the type of transport? Surface mail (ship) can take 4 months or more to be delivered.

#5 Andres Sender

Andres Sender

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3597 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:27 PM

So what's the word on the suppliers for this wood?
The problem with the ignore feature is that if one has a sort of morbid fascination for train wrecks one can keep peeking and then the benefit is out the window.

#6 nertz

nertz

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

I buy and use a lot of wood from a Hungarian dealer who sources most of his timber in Romania. The stuff I have bought looks fantastic and the pieces I’ve used so far seem to get very good acoustic results, my dealer comes to my workshop here in the UK with a van full and I get to choose what I want to buy.

#7 Seth_Leigh

Seth_Leigh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1944 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:20 PM

Ispirati emailed me some pictures he took of wood he got from a (the?) tonewood guy from Romania and it's some beautiful wood. He's also had a shipment that seems to be taking some time. Perhaps he'll speak up here.

#8 Andres Sender

Andres Sender

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3597 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:16 PM

The web site for the fellow who posted here this year is gone.
The problem with the ignore feature is that if one has a sort of morbid fascination for train wrecks one can keep peeking and then the benefit is out the window.

#9 David Tseng

David Tseng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1759 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:33 PM

In my experience, dealing with people there requires a great deal of patience and diplomatic skill. The other supplier, Alba Pana, behaved very similarly. But now I tend to like the spruce from the Carpathian Mountains. The wood is very stiff.

#10 Alan_Coggins

Alan_Coggins

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationBlackheath, Australia

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:36 PM

"my dealer comes to my workshop here in the UK with a van full and I get to choose what I want to buy."

Neil, next time you see him, could you ask him to visit my place as well.

#11 ispirati

ispirati

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

The supplier is still trying to find my shipment. It has been 2 months already. Although the supplier is responsive and making an effort to find my wood, but it does not change the fact that I have not received my wood.

I ordered 2 times from him. The first shipment was first stuck at the Romanian post office because the package is too big. The supplier took the responsibility to ship them UPS to me, which is very nice of him. But the 2nd shipment, Romanian post said that it is already out of Romania. So they are still trying to find where the wood is.

The wood that I received from the first shipment was excellent. All of them were nice figured at a bargin price.

If there is a better solution to the logistic aspect of his offers, I think the Romanian could be a good source for wood.

#12 HongDa

HongDa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:05 PM

I don't know anythng about Romanian wood. There was a recent post here about wood dealers in Europe you may want to read though.
Since we are on the subject again..............,
Has anyone here ever use D&D tonewoods? I sent them an email but never got a reply.

hmmm.... looks like there site is down at the moment.There are some beautiful pictures there if they get it back up.
web page

#13 David Tseng

David Tseng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1759 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

With the appreciation of Euro against $, I don't think I have the alternative but to buy tonewood from Romania. I can come up with only one solution to this logistic problem: go there in person to select the wood and to arrange for the shipment. ispirati, I am sure you'll get your wood.

#14 hghareeb

hghareeb

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 03:01 AM

Well , I got my wood from Romania on last june ,,all tops was frish cut However the maple is mixed 2-4 years So I haven't tried them yet, I like how it looks and how the romanian man deal , He was online with me all the time by Email until I sellected each piece of wood, He was sending me a pics. with comments So I just picking up by looking at pics.
I don't blame him when he promiss to send my order after a couple of days and it takes about 8 days !!Since things out of control there ,The delay was from the shipping company ,They came after 6 days, and the other suggested company DHL didn't come at all they are located 700km of his home !!
the only problem is the shipping ,I had to use courier to ensure I will recieve them ,Since the normal air mail has no tracking option and there will be a chance to loos them .

I have some pics. of my wood if interested to see them .

Good Luck .

#15 David Tseng

David Tseng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1759 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

hghareeb, you are one of the lucky guy. Buying tonewood from Romania is definitely not for the faint-hearted. ispirati placed his 2nd time order in early August, it's been over FOUR months and he hasn't received his wood yet (ispirati, correct me if I am wrong). If you don't consume large quantity of wood, my advice is to buy wood from reputable suppliers in U.S. and that will save you a bundle and the unnecessary headache.

I consider myself a seasoned buyer of tonewood. In addition to purchasing from established dealers such as Fuchs, Rivolta, Gleissner, and liuteria antica, I also bought wood fron fly-by-night suppliers and Gypsy. I used to attend summer schools in Trieste, a picturesque old Hapsburg seaport, and had been to severeal towns along the Adriatic coast before Yugo's break-up. My machinist came from Banja Luka, my wife's close friend married a fellow from that region. Through his connection, I bought one time 30 pieces of maple in that town but there was no way to ship them out during the height of NATO bombing in Kosovo. The wood were brought to Slovenia and sent by p. post. I paid a lot for shipping. D&D's wood came from Croat controlled area. The wood from Serb area were shipped to Zemun (a suburb of Belgrade) and distributed from there.

#16 Dean_Lapinel

Dean_Lapinel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2619 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hi David,

I talked to you briefly at the last VSA meeting (concerning your question to Curtin). I wish I had been able to spend more time talking to you.

What do you and others think of a group purchase of tonewoods in the form of a "Co-op". Distribution location and trust would be some issues.

Dean

#17 strungup

strungup

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

"I consider myself a seasoned tonewood buyer."

I can't resist Of course, you probably don't buy unseasoned tonewood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users