• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xania

xania

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1280 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

I was aimlessly wandering around a tool shop last week (yes, there is a first time for everything!!), and was very surprised to discover a file called a "B*stard File".

I kid you not.

I'm quite fascinated by the name.....not sure if it was named by a woman to describe a tool that comes in a large variety of shapes and sizes, or if it was infact named by a man to describe a tool that is somewhat coarse.

FWIW I decided that I didn't need it!

xan

#2 jmasters

jmasters

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

Dear Xania,

The word has a very "legitimate" etymology which I am sure I do not know well. It means "irregular" in some sense. I guess for files, Bastards are in between two standard (or previously standard) styles.

As to children, bastards were irregular in that they could not claim legitimate linage from a given father. But people then did not want to completely destroy the child, they simply called him a bastard.

I found this on the net, it seems always to have been somewhat perjorative: ""3. bastard, mongrel -- (derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin; "the architecture was a kind of bastard suggesting Gothic but not true Gothic") ""

Mongrel, half-breed, irregular, out of sorts with accepted forms, etc. That is how I read it.

#3 Ron1

Ron1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • LocationSun Prairie

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:57 PM

...and then there's "sex bolts"...

#4 Alex_E

Alex_E

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGeraldton, Australia

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:15 AM

Being a big file used for quick removal of material, it could be so named for when the file slips and as you skin your knuckles you say "you b*stard"

#5 propolis

propolis

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

I use a flat illegitimate file for first cuts on nuts, necks, saddles, bridge tops, and sometimes fingerboard bumps. It's got THE B WORD stamped on it by the Nicholson company, right near the tang. Am I allowed to say 'tang on the board?

I was startled to see a bottle of "Fat B*stard" red wine in the local "package" store (now there's a euphemism!) the other day. Closer scrutiny showed it to be French. Must be a transplanted Oz vintner, I thought.

There are those who take delight in reading labels right,
They rroll their R's and do those German glottals;
Me, I couldn't give a monkey's, for the stuff for getting drunk is
On the inside, not the outside, of the bottles!

cheers, all

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:18 PM

The name coming from the irregular size makes sense. There is a size of sword know as a "Bastard Sword". It's a 1-1/2 handed sword - bigger and longer than a broadsword and smaller than the big two handed swords. I have always figured the names were related.
Steve R.
So little time and so little to do. -- Oscar Levant

#7 Seth_Leigh

Seth_Leigh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1944 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:20 PM

Maybe in English this isn't as derogatory, but how did we arrive at the bench dog? What exactly is doglike about a bench dog?

#8 propolis

propolis

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:37 PM

In some spots, andirons are called firedogs. Four legs, head, tail sticking up: looks like a dog. Holds wood...

#9 jmasters

jmasters

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I am sure that is the use of the word for toolmakers. Bastard-sawn wood is more or less 45 degrees from quartersawn. That gives me a hint. I can't see how the perjorative connotations would be adapted by a tool user.

#10 fiddlecollector

fiddlecollector

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6775 posts
  • LocationNorth of Milton Keynes

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:28 PM

Dog means to hold something securely ,hence bench-Dog ,to hold to the bench!

#11 xania

xania

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1280 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

Well it never ceases to amaze me the things you lot know!

The "B" file does make a bit more sense now.

Another thing that has always amused me is the naming of plugs as the "male" and "female"-descriptive, I guess but.....

Anyway, what are sex bolts, or was that a joke?

xan

#12 Steve R.

Steve R.

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:10 PM

Quote:

Dog means to hold something securely ,hence bench-Dog ,to hold to the bench!

Or Dog a hatch on a boat.
Steve R.
So little time and so little to do. -- Oscar Levant

#13 propolis

propolis

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

I tried to show you a picture of "the 6 cannon sizes of Henry II" with our friend the red-headed stepchild right between the Great Culverin and the "Legitimate" Culverin.
Until I get the picture onto a usable site, here's another verse of the wine song:

There are those, the silly asses, who line up rows of empty glasses
They have a different wine with every course they eat.
Me, I mix whatever's handy in a stiff all-purpose shandy
That goes very well with fish or shredded wheat.

#14 Ron1

Ron1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • LocationSun Prairie

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

Sex bolts are two-piece devices, one half being a threaded "male" screw; the other half being a threaded "female" sleeve. Used to join/hold pieces together when disassembly & reassembly is a consideration. No joke.

#15 xania

xania

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1280 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:58 PM

Ahh, I'm with you now.

With the amount of time spent here dicussing re-attaching necks, etc, should we consider using those bolts to attach necks?

And while we're at it, we could probably put the top on with hinges!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users