Information on an Anton Schuster violin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pyro

pyro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:09 PM

Now I'm not what you'd consider a very talented musical person. I played the violin for a year and then started playing an electric guitar which I've since quit. To explain how I came across this, it was quite simple. I moved it and needed storage space, so I cleaned out the attic, and came across the violin as well as a cuckoo clock. Both we're made in Germany, at least so they both say, and obviously no real relation between either. Well, I had sent it off to get restored and forgot all about it until recently when I recieved the call saying it was done. I headed on down to the place where it was restored and picked it up, and now I'm aiming to sell it really. I've sent an email to Vitali Import (Which I thank this board for helping me find that out) as well as another place, the name of which I've already forgotten. Does anyone have any information they could offer me, as to a good price to resell at and where selling it would be appropriate. Anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
John V.

#2 jackc

jackc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • LocationWilliamsburg

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:56 PM

I think Anton Schuster is a trade name. 'Trade name' means there was no maker by that name, but it sounds good and is plastered on to a factory made violin for marketing purposes. Ehrhardt "Violin ID and Price Guide" book 2 lists Anton Schusters from Vitali ranging from $55 to $110 in 1965, and Erhardt's highest estimate is $350 as a 1978 price. The Vitali ad says that Schuster is a Mittenwald Geigenbaummeister (master maker) but that may be marketing as well. It might have been made in the same factory as the Juzeks and Pfretschners of that era.

Take it to a violin shop and get an opinion.

#3 pyro

pyro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

thank you very much, tremendously appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users