Arcolla Carbon Fiber Bows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 administrator

administrator

• Root Admin
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:52 PM

Has anyone heard of these new CF bows? I recently acquired one of these - I like it! I played with it for a couple hours today and will play it in a gig tonight and over the weekend. I'll report on how it seems to me more later, but initially it appears to be really good. The violin bow appears to be genuine carbon graphite (as apposed to some of the carbon composite bows that are on the market as "carbon fiber" bows). Yes it's made in China, but with pretty good craftsmanship (for an inexpensive workshop-made bow). Nickel wound, fully-lined genuine ebony frogs, leather grip, genuine Mongolian horse hair (holds rosin very well!!). Someone I know compared it to a Coda Conservatory (2nd level, above the Coda Aspire), it is well-balanced, beautiful to look at, and has a very good over-all feel. I found it not only light-weight and easy to use, but extremely playable.

More later.

#2 wmeng

wmeng

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationLondon/Moscow

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:39 PM

Actually, I played one (violin) yesterday. Not a bad bow, about equivalent to the Coda Conservatory bows in my opinion, and much cheaper too. I think I might buy one for gigs and outdoors playing.

#3 John_Jesseph

John_Jesseph

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationMuncie

Posted 15 November 2003 - 01:22 PM

Where are they available? I did a quick google search and came up empty handed...

#4 crazy jane

crazy jane

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 02:27 PM

Post deleted by crazy jane

#5 crazy jane

crazy jane

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 02:46 PM

From your subject heading, it looks like you're not spelling the product correctly.

They are on sale at Woodwind &Brass .

And four are currently up for autcion (cheap) in eBay.

J.

#6 John_Jesseph

John_Jesseph

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationMuncie

Posted 15 November 2003 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the link and the information. I see that the eBay seller is the same one as the link, and the eBay prices start pretty low, about half what they are selling them for at their regular store. I wonder if I should look into them??

I thought about a Coda Aspire, and tried a few cf bows, and didn't think the Coda was all that much better than some cheaper bows. FWIW I am a serious adult beginner, playing about a year, practice about 15 min to one hour a day, on Suzuki bk 2 #7, Wolfhart op 74 #10, working on shifting excersizes and vibrato with some decent success. I don't know anything about my bow or violin, traded my brother a mandolin for them. I thought my fiddle was Chinese, a local violin store owner thought it might be German. Point being I am getting pretty decent tone from what I have, a new bow would be my first upgrade. I want to maximize my own ability before spending much more money on anything, and have hopes to build some fiddles anyway.

Enough rambling, thanks!!!!!!!

#7 strungup

strungup

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:12 PM

The problem with buying a bow (or an instrument, for that matter) on ebay is you can't try before you buy. That's really important since the same bow might be great on one instrument and not so on another.

#8 John_Jesseph

John_Jesseph

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationMuncie

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:12 PM

excellent point. I think I may contact the seller and see what the price would be on a non-auction, return-if-unsuitable basis, and also try another brand or two from elsewhere at the same time. Thanks!!

#9 John_Jesseph

John_Jesseph

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationMuncie

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:13 PM

sure wish I could spell Wohlfahrt...

#10 administrator

administrator

• Root Admin
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

We are now stocking the violin and cello bows and they do very well for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users