Photo

Whats the best way to hang your violin on the wall.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 canofspam123

canofspam123

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 May 2000 - 10:23 PM

What should I use to hang up my violin? Can you buy special hooks? I dont want it to fall off the wall when the traffic causes vibrations. Thanks, Fred

#2 HuangKaiVun

HuangKaiVun

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5201 posts

Posted 05 May 2000 - 10:44 PM

The best place to hang your violin is in your securely closed violin case so that "accidents" can't happen easily.

#3 Sorcha

Sorcha

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 May 2000 - 02:35 AM

Exactly Huang. Fred, why do you want to hang it on the wall? Decor? get a cheapo; accessability? leave your case on a table with the instrument in it, case latched if you have anybody living with you, including amimals

I have lathe and plaster walls with crappy instruments hanging up. I use 2" finish nails and heavy cotton cord around the peg head, haven't had one fall yet. Sheet rock/drywall is better to hang stuff on, because it is easier to get nails or cup hooks into, but still, use a cord that the knots will hold in; not monofilament fishing line-----knots will slip in nylon. Depending on the weight of the instrument, quilting thread, or pearle cotton are both good.

Crapppo yard sale guitar is hung with 100% cotton rug yarn, pennywhistles and bows hung with quilting thread, both in colors to match the wall.

#4 MarvyMei

MarvyMei

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 May 2000 - 04:55 AM

You want to hang your WHAT on the wall?

I don't think it's a good choice for decor. Besides it falling off, someone might bump into it or smash something into it if they're carrying something near it. And violins were meant for playing, not decoration. Even a cheap violin might have gone towards brightening the day of a child whose parents don't have much money to spend...

#5 Arinnen

Arinnen

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2000 - 11:39 AM

Of course, if it's already missing pieces, it'd be a perfect candidate for wall decoration. Just try to find one where the pieces aren't so obvious.

#6 Toscha

Toscha

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1594 posts

Posted 08 May 2000 - 11:47 AM

If your place is already plagued with traffic vibrations, I don't know why you want to risk hanging a violin on the wall.

If you absolutely insist on hanging one, make sure to take off the bridge and strings and the floor is carpeted with very soft carpet.

But, I still would not recommend it.

#7 HuangKaiVun

HuangKaiVun

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5201 posts

Posted 08 May 2000 - 04:08 PM

I wouldn't put an el cheapo violin on the wall because I wouldn't want people to think THAT was my choice in instruments.

#8 staylor

staylor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2229 posts

Posted 08 May 2000 - 05:43 PM

I would prefer to have a cello on the wall,
but that would need even greater care taken.
A violin I would keep being tempted to putting it under my chin!

#9 Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Ah, quit yer snivelin'...

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationTucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 08 May 2000 - 11:59 PM

Duct tape.

#10 staylor

staylor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2229 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 10:33 AM

It looks like Mr. Canofspam123 may have been a bit hurt from peoples lack of seriousness. He hasn't written anything more.

#11 Sheila

Sheila

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 10:43 AM

If what you want is to put the violin out where it is more accessible then I suggest Alden lee Company http://www.aldenlee.com/
They have a stand that would probably be safe.

However I do not use the stand. I keep my violin in its case when not in use. That is the best place to keep it

#12 CJ

CJ

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 12:09 AM

Oh the joy of a band-on-the-wall! I'm being serious here. The leader of the band in which I play has a fabulous den with all kinds of $200 to $1500 instruments hanging on the wall. It's a wonderful display. Not his best instruments, mind you, but some he's played or got good deals on over the years. A violin, a guitar or two, banjos, one of those backpack guitars, a mandolin, a dulcimer, a bass in the corner; need I go on? The wonderful thing about it is that we just go over there and pick something to play. And we've had some fun jam sessions playing instruments we've not played before. Instruments all over the room. The hanging ones are mostly hanging from cord on a wooden "chair rail" that he has screwed into the studs. It's really sturdy.

If you want to hang your violin from the wall, go for it.

#13 I Play

I Play

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 May 2000 - 01:26 PM

Be comfy:
Nail your music stand on the wall then just hang your violin on the stand like a lot of students do

Bad boy stops banging on my keyboard.

#14 Brad Stevens

Brad Stevens

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 835 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 May 2000 - 02:10 PM

I think people may be shocked and amazed that someone would want ot hang a violin on the wall or anywhere within reach, but, face it, the majority of shops and shop ads show all these instruments by hanging them. How many shops keep all of their instruments in cases?

I was in one shop which handled some fine instruments, but had a twenty-five foot wall with instruments, set up instruments, hanging four deep from pegboard brackets. Every instrument in that shop was hanging somewhere. Now, maybe that isn't the best way to display or store an instrument, but if you buy it from a rack, why wouldn't you consider hanging it from a rack or stand at home?

I used to imagine devising some way of suspending an instrument so that it was always within easy reach. Now I have a third instrument laying on a padded shelf so that I can snag it to practice scales, bowing, or whatever inspirational impulse may hit me when I only have about five minutes to spare before my next appointment.

Please, understand that this is not an argument in favor of hanging an instrument on the wall, but a defense of the right to ask the question.

[This message has been edited by Brad Stevens (edited 05-09-2000).]

#15 staylor

staylor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2229 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 11:12 PM

I keep my violin out of case day and night, on a table, or anyware from where I estimate it will not fall. If I put the bow on a bed, it is always up against the wall, to avoid breakage by sitting-as once happened, many years ago!
I don't mean that this is the right way of caring for violin and bow, nor my true intended way of keeping the violin, but it just turns out that way.
If you are married with children, as I hope to be again, you should only do this if you have a private room.
But in this way, I practice on impulse, throught the day. Is this a good way to practice?
S.Taylor

#16 cory207

cory207

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have an antique violin that is broken. It looks nice though so its on the wall above the piano. I dont know why everyone is making an issue out of hanging it.  Even if its a nice one it can always be hung safely with care.  Out of traffic. 

#17 Rue

Rue

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationCanadian Prairies

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

While I normally prefer to use a case, I also have my new violin hanging from a hook at the moment...just to give the varnish every chance to fully harden.  It's in a safe location *knockonwood*.

For decoration...I have an old mandolin (cracked) hanging on the wall in our family room.  It's been there for 16 years - gets dusted on a regular basis...and it's not any worse off now than when I first put it there.

There are any number of ways you can securely hang up a violin.  I don't see an issue with the practice either.

"Experience is a good school.  But the fees are high." Heinrich Heine

#18 Stephen T. Fine

Stephen T. Fine

Violist

• Members
  • 2429 posts
  • LocationThe Deep South

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

I like Cory.  His first post, to revive a 13 year old topic on a lovely trivial matter showing some of my favorite old personalities from the board.

HuangKaiVun, STaylor, Desert Rat, and Toscha, I miss seeing your here.  I hope all is well.

I suppose I should add that I hang violins and celli on the wall with a picture-hanging hook and some fishing line.  But I would caution against leaving valuable instruments outside of their cases (as KaiVun advises).

#19 DR. S

DR. S

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1100 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

I like Cory.  His first post, to revive a 13 year old topic on a lovely trivial matter showing some of my favorite old personalities from the board.

HuangKaiVun, STaylor, Desert Rat, and Toscha, I miss seeing your here.  I hope all is well.

I suppose I should add that I hang violins and celli on the wall with a picture-hanging hook and some fishing line.  But I would caution against leaving valuable instruments outside of their cases (as KaiVun advises).

Lymond, I did a double take myself.  Yes all those old names, when this was a vibrant active discussion forum.  My first thought was "they let HKV back on?!?!?! "   Remember his NYC Suzuki book read through?!   

I have been wanting to put some hangers on my wall to keep my instruments at the ready for when I get a minute to practice.   My plan was to use the instrument hangers you can buy from Shar and such places.  The have coated U-hook that holds the instrument with a pin sticking out of one of the ends to hang your bow on. I'd keep them in my studio, not as wall art, and I would pad the wall behind the instrument.   If I wanted it as wall art in the main part of the house, I'd buy or build a wood and glass case for it.

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. - Victor Hugo

#20 Mountain Luthier

Mountain Luthier

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

I've created these and adapted them for a retail setting.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/8805614114/

I list them on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=281127274975

Really a latched case is the best protection. The shopkeeper gently snatched

the bow from a 9 year old who was trying to knock a fiddle down with it.

Hopefully Mom and Dad have enough limit on their card to pay for it.

The big prize is appointments for repairs and something really nice upstairs.

Tim Black
Mountain Luthier
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14995534@N05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users