#1 TimRobinson

TimRobinson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 July 2002 - 05:58 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a violin, in quite sad but very fixable, condition. The Label in side says:
"Georg Leeb, Lauten und Geigenmacher Pre(ss - cannot do the characher)burg 178(8?)"

Jalovec's "The Violin Makers of Bohemia" does not mention Georg, but there are many references to the Leeb family of makers in Pressburg. Henley's "Universal Doctionary of Violin and Bow Makers" includes a George (note the final "e") Leeb at Pressburg, Vienna and Budapest. However, no dates are given. Can anyone shed anly light on this instrument. It is a small model, with re-brown varish. The back is nicely figured, as are the ribs. I doubt the neck is original, it is poorly carved and from very plain timber. There are no corner blocks used in the construction.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Tim
Tim Robinson
Sydney, Australia

#2 fiddlecollector

fiddlecollector

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6753 posts
  • LocationNorth of Milton Keynes

Posted 27 July 2002 - 08:06 AM

There is one by Johann georg Leeb in a Sothebys catalog that i`m looking at but no picture ,his dates are given as 1740-1810.back length 13 7/8",back ,ribs faint narrow curl and head plain.Varnish orange-brown.Table medium grain in middle to narrow at edges.Estimate£1400-1800 in 1997.
I know its probably a different Leeb,but it may help.
I was going to bid on one not so long ago at auction in England .I have a picture of it somewhere if you`d like me to send it give me your email address via the private message facilityn on here. I`m sure this one was just Georg Leeb.
Fiddlecollector.

#3 fubbi2

fubbi2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3491 posts
  • LocationWest Camp

Posted 27 July 2002 - 09:14 AM

Johann Georg Leeb (1) Presov, Slovakia ca 1788 (probably not your guy)
Johann Georg Leeb (2) Pressburg, Austria 1770-1810 (recent auction values: $2020-$9560) Model: Amati
Johann Georg Leeb (3) Pressburg, Austria 1804-1813 - Son of (2) (No recent values...valued at 70 Pounds in 1970)

#4 TimRobinson

TimRobinson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 July 2002 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have asked the Director of Institute for Musicology of the Hungarian Academy at
http://www.zti.hu/museum.htm if they can offer any assistance with my query. I'll post any information I get.

In the meantime I have a bit more information about how the violin was constructed. I have taken the back and neck off - necessary to carry out the repairs needed (don't worry, I'm careful). Interesting. No top block, the neck was finely morticed into the top ribs. Where the heel of the neck attached to the button stress of had caused it to break some time in the past and it had been repaired with a butterfly shaped insert. My guess is that the original design was fine for a baroque instrument, but the conversion to a modern neck and stringing put stress on this joint that it was never meant to bear. My intention, at the moment, is to insert a normal top block and mortice the neck into it. This will stop the problem with the button and spread the load over a greater area of the top ribs. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? I'll put some photos on the web explaining the situation a bit better in the near future.

Regards,

Tim
Tim Robinson
Sydney, Australia

#5 TimRobinson

TimRobinson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 August 2002 - 12:22 AM

I have found a little more about Georg Leeb, at least I have identified another instrument made by him. One on the members of the PRO ARTE ANTIQUA PRAGUE (see http://www.musica.cz/proarte/) has the following entry:

JAROMR PAVICEK - viola - Georg Leeb, Pressburg 1790 - alto viol - Lorenzo Carcassi in Borgio San Fridiano 1758

The web site doesn't give an email address for Mr Pavicek. I don't suppose anyone knows how to contact him?

Regards and thanks.

Tim
Tim Robinson
Sydney, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users