Need info on violins & bow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 L Crawford

L Crawford

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 04:04 AM

I would like help getting more information on a couple of violins & a bow that I've had for 20+ years. I'd like to know more about the quality & market value.

One violin (full size) has Karl Hofner Bubenreuth 1962 Germany on the label.

One violin has Joannes Jais nie fecit Bulfani in Tyroli 1779 on the label.

The bow has Albert Nurnberger stamped on it.

The Hofner violin was my practice violin when I was starting out.
The Joannes Jais violin & Albert Nurnberger bow were given to me by my parents when I was in high school. I vaguely remember my mother saying they got it somewhere in Los Angeles & something about papers. Unfortunately my mother recently passed away & I haven't been able to locate any papers. My father doesn't remember what dealer they went to, and my violin teacher has passed away also. They did give it to me in a lovely Bein & Fushi case. I doubt that I'll ever resume playing again and hate to have such a nice instrument just sitting around. I hope that someone can give me more information or leads on dealers or makers in my area that could help me. Thanks.

#2 Andrew Victor

Andrew Victor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3348 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 11:44 AM

William Henley's book (1973 edition reprinted in 1997) gives a Karl Hofner, born in Bohemia in 1864 as organizing his violin making firm in 1888. I would think your "Hofner" was made (or marketed) later by that firm.

Three Johann Jais are listed in Henley's. The earliest, born 1712, the son of Franz is shown as having a label such as "Joannes Jais me fecit Bulsani in Tyrol 17xx" He died in 1780. Listed as worth about 30 to 65 UK pounds in 1960.

(The scripty German s looks like "f")

Another son of Franz, Anton Jais, is listed as having violins worth 85 UK pounds in 1960 and, acording to the latest edition of John Fairfield's book, worth $10,000 to $15,000 retail in the US in 1999.

Andreas Jais (1685-1750 (or 53)) was the father of a different Johannes Jais (1715-1765), working first in Mittenwald and later in Tölz - possibly a different family, with instruments seemingly selling for about the same $10K - $15K these days.

Albert Nürnberger bows can vary all over the map in quality of tone, playability, workmanship and wood - often dpending on who actually made it. This is a family that ran a large workshop over many generations, and a number of the family members made bows. It is certainly a famous name in the world of bow making
If La Quinta is near LA, you will find several know shops in the area, including the Weisshaar shops, Studio City Music, Thomas Metzler, etc. - actually the LA phone directory is a reasonable place to start looking.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andrew Victor (edited 02-14-2002).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users